Monday, February 25, 2008

A picture that was taken, when he and mom were dating...

My mom got asked out on her first date! The guy's name was Skip, and mom's known him for YEARS, since before he married his first wife. One wife died of cancer, another of a brain aneurysm. Skip himself had a stroke a few years back, but is fine. He called mom to see how she was doing. She said they talked for about twenty minutes. Then he said something about getting dinner some night. She said she wasn't ready for that yet. And he said it was fine, she had his number if she needed to. She giggled like a schoolgirl, but she told me there's no way she's ready for that at all!

I myself, am conflicted. I want to be happy. If, at some point in the future, she finds a guy she wants to date and that makes her happy, then that's what I want.

Except it isn't. I don't want my mother dating. It just doesn't....sound right. I mean, she's my mom, the wife of my father. And that's the way it should always be. Except she might be happier if she's the wife, or girlfriend, of some other man. Except that's just...not right.

And thusly does the circle of my thoughts go round and round. Luckily, it's not something that I really have to think about now. And she told me not to tell anyone (but I can trust you guys), so it doesn't look like she's anxious to date. But it might be something I have to deal with in the future.

Is this what all kids go through when thier parents, like, get divorced and then have a step-parent enter the picture???

POLT Listening to "Brown Eye Girl" by Van Morrison

Ware is an inefficient means to an end. It leaves ruin in its wake, resources expended for naught, lives taken and given in vain. It is the most egregious form of waster known to sentient beings, and, like all waste it is illogical. - Spock, The Sorrows Of Empire

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't sweat it Polt. My father has remarried twice after my mom died. The second wife was a sweetheart but she died too.

I don't really know his third wife that well beyond the perfunctory but I know my father loathes being alone so if it makes him happy, so what.

Even my grandmother didn't stop her dating after my grandfather died. She started up with the guy next door and was with him until the day she died.

Sexy Duet said...

Even if your mother does at some time in the future go on dates, she will always still be your mum and the wife of your father.

I am sure if at some stage you see her happy with a companion, you will be fine with it. My step-grandmother got engaged at age 90 after my grandfather passed away and we were happy for her, she was lonely by herself after having spent so much of her life with someone by her side.

Ms SD

Bunny said...

You'll be okay when the time comes. It's too soon right now for both you and your mom, but when she's ready you'll be okay with it.

My mom had a hard time with her father dating after her mother died. Of course, the fact that Grandma died in June and was wintering in FL with his girlfriend by November might have had something to do with that. Also, when my Grandpa asked my mom for advice about sex (how has it changed over the years? We're in our 60s - do I really have to wear condoms? LOL) that was a little awkward.

Hugs to you and Mama Polt