Monday, February 04, 2008

This is me, you're not talking to...

Just one observation from when I watching the Super Bowl...and it's not about the game itself.


I was watching it at my friend Duff's. As the game began, Duff and his girlfriend Angie were in the kitchen preparing things. I was in the living room wth Duff's 11 year old twin sons, Angie's 10 year old daughter and 13 (or so) year old niece.

All four of them had something called a DR, I think. Apparently, it could play like Gameboy games, but it could send text messages as well.


And that's what they were doing. One of them would type something, the other three would recieve it and they'd all laugh cause the first insulted one of the other three. Then the insulted party would type something stupid to one of them, and once all four had it, they'd all laugh again.


It caused me to wonder, what has this country come to when four kids can be in a room together, and instead of actually TALK to each other, they just send each other text messages????


And then I had cause to wonder, God, when did I get so old and sound like an old fogey??? But seriously, it all did seem a little surreal, and silly at the same time. but then, eh, whatever. At least they were staying out of trouble and not getting in front of the TV.


POLT Listening to "Hung Up" by Madonna


Every day is a party day when you're hanging with the gays!

8 comments:

Stephen R. said...

I totally agree with you!!! But you know, they kinda ARE in front of a TV. A little TV. They each have their own personal TV that they can send messages on. And not interact. At all.

I watched a young guy and his girlfriend on the train the other day. He was blabbing away on his phone talking to someone else and she was texting away while jamming out to whatever mundane Muzak was blaring in her iPod. I couldn't believe it. They were together but they weren't together.

When you're with me, you're with me. Not on the phone, not texting and hopefully on your knees.

Oops... that last one just kind of popped out...

Anonymous said...

I wonder what people would do if tomorrow some freak weather event produced an electromagnetic pulse that destroyed cell phones, computers, etc.

They'd actually have to talk to one another.

But here's what the little DR's allow the kids to do. It gives them a slight veil of protection.

Sort of like in IRC where you can adopt a different persona. Well, the same happens on these little communicators.

Sexy Duet said...

I have to admit my daughter and I will text each other when we are both in the house but that is probably more from being too lazy to go and find the other person lol.

Ms SD

Ryan said...

i used 2 bad with texting but since i moved up here in the hills i dont anymore hell i dont get service that much!

Mariposa said...

Ha! I'm guilty of this too...once I'm in my room (not to say that the house that BIG!) either I text, chat (IM) or call them to go to my room. LOL

Anonymous said...

Am I one of the few people left that doesn't text message? I find it boring, hell I don't even own a cell phone.

Onanite

Enyo said...

ooo... it's a DS hun .... and while I know it seems a little strange....I use mine all the time to facilitate conversations with other strangers that have the same device....actually met 2 of my closest friends that :)

Heidi said...

it occurs to me moms could love this. the kids will squabble through the little tvs rather than out loud. no more 'talk to the hand' but 'talk with your text'