Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Those words whispered in your ear (Part 27)...

Word Of The Day
Nuke The Fridge

A colloquialism used to delineate the precise moment at which a cinematic franchise has crossed over from remote plausibility to self parodying absurdity, usually indicating a low point in the series from which it is unlikely to recover. A reference to one of the opening scenes of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, in which the titular hero manages to avoid death by nuclear explosion by hiding inside a kitchen refrigerator. The film is widely recognised by fans as a major departure from the rest of the series both in terms of content and quality.

Guy 1: "Wow. Did you see the new Indy movie? What the hell was that? It was like I was having some kind of flu induced absurdist nightmare."
Guy 2: "Yep... did or did not that series permanently Nuke the Fridge?"
Guy 1: "Oh, totally Nuked the Fridge! But I guess Spielberg is happy as long as he has the money of the people who trusted him."
Guy 2: "Guess so..."

(Did see this movie...kinda glad now that I didn't.)

POLT Listening to "Teenagers" by My Chemical Romance

I do EVERYTHING on the basis of sex. - Herb Tarlick, WKRP In Cincinnati

2 comments:

Bunny said...

Oh c'mon! It's a lead-lined fridge!

Besides there are WAY more unbelievable things in the movie than that. It's escapist fantasy for goodness' sake!

The movie is fun - go see it. It was totally worth the $4. (I skipped church to go to the first matinée of the day - the cheapskate show).

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you JUST got this. I saw it a couple of weeks ago.

The movie is fun. I've already seen it online.