Thursday, June 05, 2008

Undress me, will I look like a fool (Part 112)...

Well, kids, once more its time for...


All my life, anytime I tried to grow anything, I killed it. (yet another good reason why i don't have kids) I have tried to have plants in my house, but each and everytime, they died. Usually due to lack of watering, or too much watering, or just simple neglect. Not a very astute gardner is Uncle Polt. In fact, sitting in my dining room even now is a large planter with desert dry dirt (haven't touched it in over four years, at least), with the brown withered bottom part of a dieffenbachia plant still sticking sadly out of it.

I just had no luck growing anything, and so, I stopped trying.

But just recently, I decided i wanted to try again. With Mama Polt (the Master Planter)'s help, I got a little flower box, put the braces up on my balcony, filled the box with dirt and flowers, and put it out in the braces.

And now, three weeks later, with daily waterings from me, the box is still there and the flowers are thriving!


No, I actually don't know what kind of flowers they are, other that living flowers, and that's all the matter to me. Aren't they just lovely? And as you can see, I do indeed NOT have a black thumb. (not a green one either, more of a pale tan one, but certainly NOT a black one!)

To see what others put up, click here.

POLT Listening to "How Soon Is Now?" by The Smiths

President bush, in his cabinet meetings, was like a blind man in a room full of deaf people. - Paul O'Neill

18 comments:

The Covert Lover said...

Hey you're doing better than I!
I have no problem keeping plants alive - as long as they aren't supposed to bloom. If it's a flower or blossom of any sort, it will die in my house.
Your flowers look great!
HHNT!

Vixen said...

Aw. They are pretty!

happyHNT

Ms. Inconspicuous said...

Petunias! Go petunias (low care flowers!).

Happy HNT--lots of sun, water frequently in the flower box (but petunias don't mind being a little dry).

Baby said...

Well I ditto Ms Inconspicuous - Petunias!!! Just make sure they get plenty of water and you might find that thumb of yours turning very green!!!!

Kittie Kate said...

They're pretty. And I like what that guy said about Bush.

Happy HNT!

Anonymous said...

We have some stuff growing in our window as well.

Good point about the TMI. For some reason it just seemed rude to mess with it, sorry.

HHNT!

MarcelloNYC said...

Start an herb garden, you can't go wrong, if it is dying then eat it - lol

HHNT - MR. Green Thumb

S said...

Yep...Petunias!

Hey Polty poo hows it going?

Ashly Star said...

Happy HNT!

Helga Hansen said...

You know summer is here when you get such pretty flowers out! I love that you have a window box - so many people wouldn't bother! HHNT!

Greg and Sheryl said...

Congratulations! They are lovely! HHNT!

JW said...

Well, I say bravo to you - I don't even have a pot plant (either kind!).

And your thumb looks absolutely fine to me :)

HHNT!

Bunny said...

Polt's Pretty Petunias!

Blissfully Wed said...

Congrats on the good care you're giving those living flowers. You rock!

Anonymous said...

I have a prodigious green thumb. I think part of it is the scientist in me, I like to observe growing things, make sure they're doing well, etc. I don't go so far as to record things, unless you consider my garden photos set recording.

I can take seeds from produce I buy at the supermarket and make them grow. I've done cherry, grape, watermelon, peppers, you name it, I can grow it.

I've rescued a Chinese Fern that was down to one leaf on a stalk. It's now bushy and happy.

Then there's the Spider plant. It started out as a tiny thing in a tiny pot. Now it's in a bigger pot and it's shooting out and flowering.

I don't just water the plants, I feed them. Miracle Grow is perfect stuff for plants. Get a little bit and mix about 10 drops with about a half gallon of water and use that to water your flowers. They'll grow like crazy.

Keyron likes to say I'm creating frankenstinian hybrids of things but I explained that cross species hybrids are hard to do, I usually do hybrids within species, like tomato.

lime said...

i suffer from the same disability as you. i have killed every kind of plant you can imagine except cacti. well done with the petunias.

Anonymous said...

Polt's Pot & Petunias.

What a great idea for a second career or part time job. You could even bake brownies with some of the unsold herb, too. Wow, combining all those hidden talents...gardening and baking...who knew? The next Ms. Madrigal!

Furry Godfather.

exile said...

i was worried it would be brown

ewwwwww...
poo