Monday, July 16, 2007

As each little motion of my wristwatch...

In 7th grade, in Junior High, I got my first wristwatch. I wanted it because I had just started Junior High, where, unlike elementary school, we did not sit in the same room all day. We had 50 minute long classes in various rooms. And I wanted a watch so I could tell how much longer I had to suffer through the boring classes.

From that point onwards, I have always worn a watch when i left the house. A few times, I forgot it and went to work without it and I felt partially naked without it. I could not stand to be outside without a watch on my wrist.

I had the metal stretchy bands, I had the plastic belt-like bands where you put a pin through the hole. I had digital watches, and regular watches. I had watches that told me the seconds along with the minute and hour. Some had stop watches, some had alarms, some told me the time in other parts of the world.

Last fall, the band I had on the old watch was tearing through, and since the watch face was all scratched up and the watch itself didn't cost much in the first place, I decided to get another watch. I was in Wal-Mart on day (don't judge me), and I noticed thier watches. I saw one that scrolled the information across the screen. It would show the day, date, month and then time. And it scrolled! And it was only liek 10 bucks. I thought the scrolling was so cool, I bought it right away and put it on.

Only then did I realize what a pain in the ass it was. I would want to know what time it was, check my watch and read: THR. Okay, so I'd check back and it would say: APR. finally, I'd look back again and I'd get the time. I hated having to wait for the time. I suppose there was a way i could set the watch so it didn't scroll, but, well that would require me digging out the directions, God only knows where I put them.

After dealing with this for 6 months, finally, about a week ago, I just decided "Screw it". I had taken a walk, and since it was kinda humid outside, I didn't want to wear the watch and sweat all underneath it. So I didn't wear one. And I used my cellphone for the time. And that's when I realized I didn't NEED a watch at all, becuase i always took my cellphone with me anyway.

So, for the past week or so, I've gone watchless. And not felt naked at all. I felt....liberated, almost. I was no longer a slave to a watch. Especially a scrolling one.

POLT

As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly. - Mr. Carlson, WKRP in Cincinnati

No comments: