Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Higher than all the birds in the sky (Part 8)...

Freddie's Adventures In Birdland

I haven't posted one of these recently, been busy with other stuff, Freddie and I both have been. however, he told me something that happened on work on Saturday that jsut cracked me the fuck up.

When he got there, the owner was nowhere to be seen. The owner's wife though was there. She told him one of the emus got out of where they were supposed to be, and she and he would have to try to get it back where it belonged a bit later. They'd use a wheelbarrow to...help corral it in the right direction. But then she left and said she'd be back later and they could do it.

According to Freddie, the area the emu was in was adjacent to where all the other emus were, the two areas were seperated by a gate, I suppose. And the area the errant emu was in was very rocky, with largy rocks and boulders, and there's no way they could manuver a wheelbarrow through that area.

It turns out that Freddie just happened to be near that gate with some hay a bit later on. The birds hadn't been fed yet, so the errant emu was hungry, and when Freddie opened the gate between the areas, the errant emu just came right into the main area cause it was looking for food. And that was how difficult it was.

Now this to me is the funny part, and it is roughly paraphrased below:

Freddie: So when the owner came back, he said he had wanted that emu seperated from the others.
Polt: Why did he want it seperated?
Freddie: Because the other emus were picking on it.
Polt (starting to laugh): The other emus were picking on it?
Freddie: Yeah.
Polt (laughing): How did he know? I mean how do emus pick on one another.
Freddie: Well that emu only has one eye.
Polt laughing out loud. The whole thing struck me as absurd.
Polt: How did he know they were picking on him? Were they calling him "Patch"? Or "Pirate"? Did they not invite him to thier emu games?

Freddie laughed at me laughing about it, but failed, I think, to see any humor in the situation himself. Maybe had I been forced to deal with it myself, I might not find it funny either.

Oh, and later in the day, he got bitten by a macaw. So that might explain his lack of humor.

POLT

"I prayed for wisdom." "And none came?" "It never has. And I'm a little bit pissed off about that." - President Barlet, The West Wing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and today i was bitten by a blue jay. [note: none of the times i was bitten was the skin broken]