Wednesday, March 19, 2008

I'm descending, pretending, i'm blending, i'm going insane...

As I may have mentioned, my mom's birthday was this past Monday. As I may have also mentioned, I gave her a DVD with 47 clips of a total of 79 people wishing her a happy birthday. It was a little over 8 minutes long. I gave this to her LAST Monday, though, because I was afraid someone would let it slip to her what I was doing.

The night I gave it to her, I also told her that my beloved ice crusher was broken, and not working and I was just going to go get a blender instead. We had an ad from Kohl's laying there, and we saw that starting that coming weekend, Kohl's had a blender on sale. Plus, mom had a store coupon they gave her for 30% off any items in the store over the upcoming weekend. She said we should go get the blender because she could probably get it for next to nothing.

And we said nothing more about it.

This past Monday, I was over at her house, I was going to take her out to eat for her birthday. We had a conversation as follows:

Polt: Hey, how long is that coupon good for?
Mama: ........what coupon?
Polt: The Kohl's coupon. For the blender.
Mama: Oh...um, today, or tomorrow, I think.
Polt: Well let's go to someplace in Hagerstown, and then we'll go to Kohl's and get it.
Mama: ......ah, no I don't want to go that far. I want to get something here in town.
Polt: Okay, well then give me the coupon and I go after work tomorrow and get it.
Mama: Um, well, no, it's got my name on it, I have to be there to use it.
Polt: Well, okay, we can go get it tomorrow night.
Mama: Um.......ah, maybe, whatever.... Ihavetogotothebathroom!

She said the last part real quick, and jumped out of her chair and ran upstairs. I thought it odd, but then, frankly, she does odd things sometimes. Well a short while later, she comes in the room with something behind her back and says, "Since you gave me my birthday present a week early, I'll just give you your Easter present a week early!" and from behind her back, she got the blender!

She went last Thursday and got it, and was going to give it to me for Easter. But since I was "grilling" her about the coupon, she couldn't think of anything to hold me off any longer. So she just gave it to me.

Yeah, she can be odd....sweet and funny, but odd too.

POLT Listening to "Paradox" by The Church

Trust me. Handling someone else's drawers is something you don't forget! - Bloo, Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's ok. I have this uncanny ability to look at a wrapped box and I can tell you what is inside the box.

It drove my parents crazy and it drives Keyron nuts now. I just apply logic. I think back, what have I been asking for. That's what is in the box.

Bunny said...

You and your mom are so cute!

Anonymous said...

Polt!! For shame!!

Trying to pry your mom out of the house to spend money on you when its her birthday!!

And don't even try about it being an Easter gift. Easter gifts consist of chocolate bunnies and other sugary confections.

You've had that ice crusher for what?...a few months maybe and you broke it already? Was there no warranty? Did you not fill out a warranty card? Did you even bother to check to see if there was a warranty? I bet you just threw the box out as soon as the machine was plugged in. With all the other clutter in the apartment you couldn't have bothered to have one more box with warranty info on it lying around (and we know you don't ever read instructions or other documentation that comes with any electronic gadgets). (Sigh.)

There will come a time when Karma will come knocking at your door. I promise.

Furry Godfather.

SignGurl said...

Your mom is so good to you!

Anonymous said...

ah she is sweet. But you felt bad about stumping the surprise.

Onanite

tornwordo said...

That's cute, you'd think maybe you'd have figured it out when she jumped up togotothebathroom, lol.