Monday, March 31, 2008

Couldn't count on all my fingers, all the dates you had...

So I had a couple "kinda-sorta" dates this weekend.

Saturday evening, I went with my cousin, as her date, along with her sister and her sister's husband (follow all those relations?), to the alma mater of myself, and my the two girls, to see a comedian, Jeff Dunham.



They had seen him in person before and they said he was hilarious. I had seen him on TV before, and I recall chuckling, so when they asked me, I said sure. So, this satruday, we went to get supper and then made it to Shippensburg University. Now granted, I graduated there in 1991, but I hardly recognized the place. The building we were in was just opened in 2005, when I attended Ship, it was the tennis courts and a parking lot. And there were tons of other new buildings too. It looked...well, like a University, which it decidedly didn't when I was going there 17 years ago.

At any rate, the seat were just 11 rows back, so we saw everything clearly. And while I did laugh some, it was nowhere NEAR as much as those with me, or most of the audience did. Frankly, I found some of his jokes....well, not offensive really,but not funny. I really see no humor is mocking a "Prius" car by speaking about it in a 'gay' lisp, and then going on and on about how 'manly' his Hummer is and how he loves just driving over everything...including the "lisping" Prius. And isn't easy to go with the cheapest laugh about Muslim suicide bomber. Yeah, real high-brow humor there. Making fun of black people having really white teeth, and foreigners answering your customer service calls, and the Amish...gee, that took a lot of though to come up with those. Don't get me wrong, I did laugh at some parts of it, and I found others quite funny. but frankly, too much of his show just was not laughable. I was underimpressed.

But it was a night away from the apartment, with fun people, good food, and yeah, some laughs, so I'm not really complaining too much.
*******************************************************
Then, today, Don and I went to see a movie and then a meal with his friend Jim (don't ask...it's complicated). We saw the Superhero Movie and at the Olive Garden.


I wasn't even aware that this movie was even being made. It's a parody of the Spiderman movies, but it mocks the X-Men movies, and the Fantastic Four, and other in the manner of Airplane or the Naked Gun kind of thing. It even had Leslie Neilson as one of that stars. Drake Bell was the main character: Dragonfly. And he's real easy on the eyes, so that made the movie very watchable.

It also had Marion Ross (mom from Happy Days), Brent Spiner (Data from Star Trek), and a host of other actors I knew from other movies, but don't know thier names. And it had me laughing despite myself. I mean, how childish and stupid are "fart jokes"? But his movie had a doozy of one, and I just could not help but laugh at it. Again, not high brow humor, but this was funny.

We all had a good time too. Don and I held hands occasionally in the theater, and played a bit of footsie under the table at the meal. And before the movie started, I pointed out to Don that this was the first time he's seen me with pants on. And we both laughed at that.

So of either of my dates, I definitely prefered the second, even though there was no kissing. Don and I are both not big on public displays of affection....especially in Hagerstown MD. Maybe if we were in DC, or Toronto, or NYC, it might have been different. But there...at the Olive Garden, or movie theater, no...no kissing thank you. Maybe....no definitely next time.

POLT Listening to "Don't Call Me Baby" by Madison Avenue

That's my brain you just stabbed, damn you! - Arena #1

4 comments:

Stephen R. said...

I've been debating seeing SUPERHERO MOVIE. Since you found it funny, I'm going to go. Especially since it has Marion Ross AND Brent Spiner in it. Love that.

Anonymous said...

Interesting about college campuses changing. When Obama came to town it was on the Rhode Island College campus. I'd gone there for about 18 months.

Anyhow it was my first time back on campus in 25 years. Have things ever changed. Holy crap they really built out a bit.

And as far as PDA's, it's pretty safe here in Providence. We don't have religious fundies, unless of course you count the Catholic Church.

exile said...

awww, your little don stories are so cute!

Anonymous said...

Don and you are really becoming an item, cool. Too bad he won't let you put a picture of him up so we can see the guy.

Onanite