Saturday, June 10, 2006

And swallowed all my pride...

Today is Capitol Pride in DC! WHoo-Hoo! Going with Ag, and two friends, Gar and Troy. This will be a trip of firsts: Gar and Troy's first Pride, and the first time I've taken someone gay with me to Pride. Yep, all these years, and all the people i've taken down with me, none of them have been gay, until this year.

Today is not the actual Gay Pride Day, that's on the annivesary of the Stonewall Riots, and that's later in the month. But each city had thier Pride festival on different weekends in June (I suppose that allows people to go to more than one in a year...oh, if only I could).

I thought I'd post a few photos from prior Prides:

This one is from 1999. It's me, Amie and Johnnie with a big ole' black drag queen, in the middle of Pennsylvania Avenue with the Capitol building in the background. Only in America.



This is from 2000. It's me, Paul (Johnnie's friend), Ag, and Johnnie.



This is from 2001. It's the group of us that hung out during the parade that year: Mark, my fairy Godfather, two guys who's from the area but who's names i can't for the life of me remember, Ag, Jen (a girl I worked with who I brought along down) and some lesbian chick with a gay pride flag we met on the Metro and who hung with us. That's me and Johnnie kneeling in the front. (I think Mark would want me to let everyone know that a breeze was blowing that day, and had blown up his shirt and extended it out, he's not that big.)



In 2002, this is me and Ag (and the things we collected during the parade) and then me and Mark.





2003 I was in a wedding and couldn't go. But in 2004, during hte festival, Ag and I both contributed to the kissing booth, and got kissed my the cuties.



and in 2005, this is Mark and I in the large rainbow chains they gave out at Lambda Rising if you bought something there.



Also, this is a pic of Johnnie from one of the Prides. You'll notice all this sticker and beads...when he stood there shirtless along the parade route (especially when he was 17 years old or so) he got all kINDS of stuff thrown to him by people in the parade. And Ag and I got to get the leftovers that he missed, as I said, beads, stickers, pieces of candy,etc,etc. He was like a magnet for that stuff.



Oh, and also, here's just a random cutie from one of them that I have scanned already.



And so, later today, I'll be down at the parade, whoo-hoo! And I should have a ton of great pictures to show. I'll scan and post of few later in the week. If I don't post again until tomorrow, you'll all understand why.

POLT = listening to "Aura" by The CHurch

Well only powdered milk and Bob Hope are guaranteed to live forever. - The Doctor, The Authority #20

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the pride pictures and look forward to this years pics. I have never in all my 50 years been to a pride day parade. Of course I have never even been to a gay bar. I live a small town sheltered (boring) life.

Polt said...

Oh Ed, sweetie, you have GOT to go to a Pride parade! They are SO much fun!

Look, I live in a town of less than 10,000 people, but DC's not that far away. Surely there has to be a city relatively close to you that you coudl visit thier Pride celebrations. And I see in the latest Advocate, that smaller places are having Pride celebrations too, like places in Kentucky and Pocatello Idaho!

You've got to go to just one, at least! You'll want to go to every one after that! And you will have an incredible time, I promise!