Sunday, June 11, 2006

Parade, dress me up take me...

Yesterday, Capitol Pride was a BLAST, as always! The weather was the best it's ever been. We've been down there in torrential downpours, and usually, it's very hot, humid and muggy. But not this year. I don't believe it got over 75 degrees all day. So no sunbruns, or feeling like you're in a sauna, or being drenched in your own sweat. Hell, I worn jeans for the first time to Pride EVER! And by the time of the parade, at 630, it was cool with a very nice breeze blowing downt he street and through the crowds.

Gar and Troy, as I mentioned were there for the first time, and I believe they had an excellent time! We collected beads, stickers, and condoms that were thrown from the people in the parade. Gar and Troy had thier pictures taken twice by photographers roving the parade, one was a guy from MW, a DC weekly magazine. Don't know if it'll make it into any issue, but that's who the guy said he was from. I went through nearly two cameras. (I don't take my digital camera down cause 1) it's way more expensive and easier to damage and 2) it takes too long after a take a photo for the camera to be ready to take another one. One shot cameras are the way to go in this instance.) I'll post some of those photos when I get them back tomorrow...if Blogger allows me to post them...

My favorite part of the parade (other than all the hot, built shirtless men) is always PFLAG. I love seeing all those parents, syblings, and friends marching to support thier gay family members. I stood there and applauded them as they walked by, when I made eye contact with any of them I said "thank you". One lady, old enough to be my grandmother, put her hand up and we kinda high fived. Another, that was about my mothers age, saw me and walked over for a hug. She said, "We love ALL of you!" The parade at that point had one of thier periodical stops, so I gave the camera to Ag and had her take a photo me with that lady. I just LOVE the PFLAG people.

It's not that Mama Polt doesn't love me or anything, she does, obviously, but we do not talk about or share any aspect of my gay life, since I know she doesn't want to talk about it. I can't complain about mom, cause she's been so supportive of me all my life, and I know some kids get abused, or kicked out of thier homes or what have you, and she's NEVER done any of that. But she's just not as supportive of my being gay as I wish she could be. (seeing her marching a parade...ohmigod, how cool would THAT be.)

Anyway, after the parade we walked around a bit, went into a few stores like Lambda Rising, HRC store, and The Leather Rack. After this, we made our way back to the Metro and home. We had left the house about 230 in the afternoon and gotten back at about 1100, so it was a full day or fun and excitement.

I realized during one of the pauses in the parde, that this was the first time in four trips to Pride that my Fairy Godfather Mark was not with us. Mark, you were missed, my friend. I hope you're able to attend a Pride celebration near you.

Once, during the adventure, Ag was her to say the following, which I was just going to post as a quote at the end, but which is so damn funny, I damn near pissed myself after she said it. Said in an I'm-at-my-wits-end tone: For the love of God...my tits hurt and my feet are sore, come ON people, hurry up!

Anyway, as always a great fun time was had by all. And tomorrw, I'll post the photos that Blogger allows to post until it decides to fuck with me again and arbitrarily stops letting me.

POLT = listening to "What You Are" by Audioslave

When people feel uncertain, they'd rather have somebody who is perceived as strong, but wrong than somebody who's perceived as weak, but right. - Bill Clinton, Dec 2002

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention. I went to last years Pride thingy in Lansing (Michigan) and, while its much better than anything we had 20 yrs ago, after being involved in so many large city events I wasn't that impressed. Mainly not enough diversity here. Most of the guys that are out and proud are also load and flamboyant, even the ones that appear to be really butch. (Personally, this is a real turn-off for me.) The black, hispanic and white populations still don't mesh all that well and there are practically no Asians or any other varieties that I always craved. Rednecks abound in a seemingly worse abundance than I ever remember before I left Michigan. Unfortunately this includes many indirect family members.
I miss you guys too. Given the choice I would rather still be living around the DC area. With the move to Michigan I became (against my will) a "born-again virgin" after only about 4 months.
The gay.com chatroom(s) in the area are really sad. Very low quality individuals trying to hook up. There was always more of a choice around DC even if I had to drive 45 minutes to get there. But....its possible that, along with the other punishments I am suffering, my abstinence from sex may also be a part of my punishment. I'd still like to know what I did to deserve so much turmoil and change in my life (not to mention socio-economic changes). I hope it ends before they lock me in the loony bin.

Mama Shockey's (God bless her) only annoyance is probably that you didn't tell her about yourself while she was still of child-bearing age. If she had known in those earlier years she might have chosen to have additional offspring which might have provided her with grandchildren that she could fuss and dote over.
Couldn't you have at least hinted to her when you were around 7 or 8 yrs old? I'm just saying.......

Fortunately, I have 2 siblings which have produced the grandkids that my parents require in order for them to appropriately spoil and fuss over on a daily basis. God knows if I had been the only kid my parents would be spending all of their time on just me (which would have already driven me to the loony bin).

Fairy (Futile) Godfather

p.s. Why don't these stupid little comment windows have any spellcheck on them???

Anonymous said...

Just to let the fans of Polt's Palace know We were sitting in the McDonalds Drive through line at 11pm. Needless to say my tits were hurting and my feet were sore and the staff of McDonalds do not need to have conversations with the car infront of us. That is not what a drive through line is for.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Polt said...

Mark: Sorry it's not as good up there. But you were with us in thought and spirit anyway, right?

And maybe I did tell her when I was 7 or 8...but would YOU have wanted to risk popping out another like me, gay OR straight? :P

Spellcheck? WHo uses thta? :)

AG: hehehehehehe......