Wednesday, June 21, 2006

In his jeans, a fifty...

While roaming around the Logo website (well I have to do SOMETHING at work, don't I?), I came across this: Logo asked it's viewers to vote on their favorite LGBT movies, and then Logo complied a list of the top 50, which I've typed below:
(bold are ones I own, italics are ones I've just seen)

1. Brokeback Mountain
2. Latter Days
3. Beautiful Thing
4. Trick
5. Bound
6. Angels In America
7. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert
8. Desert Hearts
9. Tripping The Velvet
10. Big Eden
11. Torch Song Trilogy
12. But I'm A Cheerleader
13. Aimee & Jaguar
14. Better Then Chocolate
15. Die, Mommie, Die
16. Maurice
17. When Night Is Falling
18. Fingersmith
19. The Sum Of Us
20. Chutney Popcorn
21. D.E.B.S.
22. Get Real
23. The Birdcage
24. Boys Don't Cry
25. Party Monster
26. Hedwig And The Angry Inch
27. The Broken Hearts Club
28. The Incredibly True Adventures Of Two Girls In Love
29. Parting Glances
30. Edge Of Seventeen
31. If These Walls Could Talk 2
32. Longtime Companion
33. Soldier's Girl
34. Rocky Horror Picture Show
35. Y Tu Mama Tambien
36. Girl Play
37. Transamerica
38. The Boys In The Band
39. Ma Vie En Rose
40. And The Band Played On
41. Making Love
42. Gia
43. Jeffrey
44. All About My Mother
45. Heavenly Creatures
46. Victor/Victoria
47. Beautiful Boxer
48. Mambo Italiano
49. Cabaret
50. The Crying Game

I think the top of the list is pretty accurate. I think Brokeback will drop on the list as time passes, cause frankly, I think other movies here are better. I was suprised to see Edge Of Seventeen so low on the list, Big Eden so high on the list, and Love, Valour, Compassion not on it at all.

Anyone have any opinions about the list?

POLT = listening to "The Song Remains The Same" by Led Zeppelin

Be reasonable. Do it MY way. - Jackie Snook

4 comments:

.- said...

my baby girl and I share a love for The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert. We want that big shoe!
Years ago my brother and I shared watching Hairspray together - now she joins me -
we do the funky dances just as him and I did....
divine........

Anonymous said...

I am slinking off to the video store .... I am .... inadequate ...

Anonymous said...

Hmmm.......
I would include some other titles in the top 50 that were obviously overlooked. I agree that Brokeback, while being the most recent, should not be at the top.

So, what happened to:

My Own Private Idaho
Tales Of The City
Rent
A Home At The End Of The World
Mysterious Skin (Araki)
Nowhere (Araki)
The Doom Generation (Araki)
Kiss Me Guido
Eating Out
Caligula
Food Of Love
An Early Frost
Priest
La Cage Aux Folles (not The Birdcage)
Wild Reeds
Grand Ecole

plus another 20 or so foreign titles.

Why weren't any of the Gregg Araki films in the top 50?
Of course the list has included all LGBT movies. Maybe you could compile a list of favorite movies that had any bit of gay theme in them? That might be fun.

Later,
Fairy Godfather.

Polt said...

Velma: Yeah, I LOVE Hairspray too! Saw the play last year, that was great too!

Bella: hehehe, nah you're not inadequate...but there this is a pretty good list of movies to choose from. And the ones bolded, I think are the best (cause, well I OWN them) :)

Mark: yeah, there were a lot of missing ones...too many lesbian ones on the list for my tastes. :)