Friday, June 16, 2006

Take me out to the ballgame...

This evening, I went to a Little League game.

I've been friends with Duff for about 19 years. He's got twin 9 year old sons. One of them, Sawyer, plays Little League. At the Super Bowl party, Sawyer asked me if I wanted to come watch one of his games. I told him I would and then promptly forgot about it. But while watching the Memorial Day Parade, I saw Sawyer walk by in his uniform with all his teammates, and that made me remember it. SO I called Duff, who's also one of his coaches, and found out when his games were, so tonight I went.

They lost, 16-3. Oh and it was a bad loss. I mean, just horrible. But most of the kids kept playing like they score was close. ANd Sawyer did get to score the last run of the game. I got to sit and talk with Duff's grandfather, who I got to know quite well back 19 years ago when Duff and I were inseperable. his family practically adopted me and made me one of them. And then I saw with Duff's ex-wife and her new boyfriend/husband, I don't know. Mel (the ex-wife) and I have always gotten along. She was much more accepting when i came out to them than Duff was at first. He's since come around and has no issues with it...or at least doesn't say anything about it. But Mel and I, she and I can check out guys and laugh about gay shit and stuff. Quite fun.

Anyway, despite the blow out, I had a pretty damn good time. The weather was warm, not too humid. The sun was going down, so there was shade from trees and such. The conversation was pleasant and the game, well, it was fun to root for the boys and clap when they did something good. And I had a pleasant 20 minutes walk both to and from the field. Overall, a very enjoyable night!
******************************
On a different, totally unrelated front, got a call from Poodle tonight. For those who don't know, Poodle is a friend of mine, he's 23, and I worked with him at Borders. For the last 2.5 years, he's been in Los Angeles. He called me sometime in May to say he hated his job and was quiting it, he and his boyfriend David were having problems, and he was just gonna chuck it all and come back here, and live with his grandmother. he said he's be back before the end of June. And then we could hang out again, and have fun and shit.

Well, no, not exactly. It seems he and David are back together, and have moved downtown (which means nothing to me, since I've never been to LA). he got a new job, posting listings of homes online for some Real Estate company, and he loves it! And everything is just going great for him now. Which I'm happy about.

But that IS kinda why I call him Poodle...any shiney bauble distracts him and he changes plans at the drop of a hat. (NO comments from you, miss Agnes!) nonetheless, I am happy for him.
SIGH...the life of a 23 year old gay man in LA....I can't even imagine.....

Oh and in keeping with my helpful photos, I give you the one for Scott aka Poodle:




















POLT = listening to "Sweet Surrender" by Sarah MacLaughlin

It's better to die on your feet than live on your knees. - Delores Ibarruri

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Excellent story Uncle Polt...I'm glad you had a good time...

I have to give you a pat on the back...most people wouldn't think it important to make good on their offer to come to a game...and you did. You're a good man Polt ;-)

Polt said...

I've known Sawyer since...well,since before he was born. And even though I forgot about the offer, i know damn well Sawyer didn't forget it. And I didn't want to disappoint the little guy. And ya know, I did have a fun time too! :)

but thank you anyway. :)