Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Save what's left for the deaf (part 9)....

Tone Deaf Tuesdays

This week, I have one song that distinctly reminds me of two different instances. The song is, what i consider Madonna's best: Ray Of Light.








The first takes place in the spring of 1999. Ag and I were returning from our annual trek to Toronto. This trip was a bit different because my boyfriend at the time, Tim, had gone with us. It had been a mistake to take him along, things didn't go as well as I had planned, but that's a story for another time.

We were on our way back, and at that point in time, we'd take the New York Turnpike from Buffalo back to Batavia NY where we'd get off and take other roads back down to PA. I had brought along a portable CD player, and we were listening to them. I was driving, Tim was up front, Ag in the back seat. I don't know where on the turnpike we were, but Ray Of Light came on. I know Tim and I, and possibly Ag as well, started singing it. I rolled my window down, threw my left arm into the arm, and started waving it all around, moving my wrist and elbow as well, while singing the song. I believe Tim did the same thing on the other side of the car, both of us attempting to do that in time to the song. And I think we played the song more than once, laughing the whole time, of course.

The second memory is when my mom was in Winchester VA for training, I have no idea when this was, probably around the same time. She called me from there and said she and a few of the girls she was working with were going out to get something to eat, did I want to come down and go eat with them? now, mind you, WInchester VA is about an hour south of here. But I said, yeah what the hell?

So I get on I-81 and head south. It's a beautiful day. It's warm but not hot, and there's a nice breeze, no clouds. SO I put all the windows down and let the wind blow through the car. I've got the portable CD player again. And I play it, but I have to have it turned up to hear over the wind blowing around. I remember replaying Ray Of Light at least 10 times in a row on the trip, singing at the top of lungs, and speeding, probably about 80 to 85 the whole way down there. Got their sooner than an hour. And when I did, I was hoarse from all the singing.

POLT = listening to "Unchained Melody" by U2

When phone solicitors call your home, ask for THEIR number.

1 comment:

Wanda said...

Hi,

I saw your comment about Nana Mouskouri in Shhhh's blog and I thought, wow, another human being who likes Nana! I've got to say hello to him!
So, like, um...hello!
My fave of hers is Vive la Rose. Yeah, I know, how banal. But I like it, so, whatever.

Uh, Madonna? For me, gotta be, "Dress You Up in My Love."