Thursday, June 18, 2009

Drove that wagon train out west...

Everyone has a favorite state, right? (or is it just me?) But does everyone have a least favorite state? I do. And not just one, but TWO that are tied for my least favorite of the 50 United States.

When I was but a young Polt, my parents got me a puzzle of the USA. Each state was it's own puzzle piece. (well, except for Maryland and Delaware, they were on piece. And I think Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island were all one piece too, but I digress...) Also they got me a map of the world, with a lot of different countries being their own pieces. I spent hours dumping them out and putting them back together, which might account for my love of geography, even now.

I got pretty good and getting the puzzle together and learning what the states looked like and where they went in relation to each other.

And then there was Colorado and Wyoming. What the HELL is up with them? Square. They're both simply square! And they're the same sized (roughly) square. I mean, not only is their shape boring and undistinctive, but how the hell is a ten year old gonna figure out which state goes where? I mean, there's not borders along rivers like Mississippi, Iowa or Pennsylvania, there's no panhandles like Oklahoma and Florida, there's no cannon shape like Nebraska, no boot shape like Lousiana, no house-with-a-big-chimney shape like Idaho (I was 10, what do you want from me?)! Just two freakin' squares.

So what did I do? Just put them off to the side like the loser shaped states they were, and put ALL the other states in first. Then I just shoved them into one of the two open spots.

I mean really, couldn't the designers of those states have been at least the least bit creative?

POLT Listening to "Evenflow" by Pearl Jam

Our secret weapon's a hat junkie? Any other team, that'd seem odd. - Deadshot, Secret Six #5

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

MA, RI and CT have been separate the whole time. I've seen colonial era maps of RI. The city of Providence is only 18sq mi now but it once extended all the way out to the CT border in the west and right out the Atlantic on the east.

Now it's bounded by the Providence River on the east (Well, it flows over that a bit) and then Johnston to our west.

lime said...

well i hope it encourages you to know that i can attest to wyoming being more interesting from the ground than the map view. plus, it was named for the wyoming valley in PA so it can't be all bad. ;)

why yes, i am a vast repository of utterly useless knowledge...

Michelle M. said...

I find it interesting that you didn't identify Florida as penis shaped. 10 year old Polt must have been an innocent.

Yeah - lower rectangle is bo-ring. That's why the hub and I moved once we changed it from red to blue.

Tam said...

But the Devil's Tower is in Wyoming. (Been there) That is kind of like Saskatchewan, except its a giant rectangle. Probably my least fave province, its flat, boring and growing up in Manitoba not far from the Sask border it was mandatory to have an attitude. "What do you call a beautiful woman in Saskatchewan? A tourist" HAHAHAHA

Mike said...

Colorado may have an undistinguished shape, but that is more than made up for with the beautiful geography here. (And there are plenty of beautiful men too -- You should visit.)

TwoPi said...

There are three states whose borders are made entirely of lines of latitude and longitude, with no "natural" borders (coastlines, rivers, etc...).

Colorado and Wyoming are 2 of the 3. Do you know the third?

Polt said...

utah I think. But it's not square, so it didn't upset me.:)

Teach Me Something Saturdays, eh, TwoPi? :)

HUGS...

TwoPi said...

Utah ftw. That those three states have lat/long borders isn't so surprising, but that no others fit that description is slightly more surprising. (At least for those of us who didn't grow up near the Dakotas, say.)

Have a fantastic weekend!

TwoPi said...

Oh, and if it was really TMSS, I'd have gone all OCD and pointed out that Colorado & Wyoming aren't actually rectangles -- they bulge -- because they're on the surface of a sphere, instead of on a flat plane.

Fortunately I'm not enough of a nerd to make that point in the comments here.

hoteltuesday said...

These states weren't 'invented' by someone. lol. Lines were drawn (for some political reason maybe? I have NO idea). And they happened to be in a square.
I've only been to NY, NJ, PA and MN and had great fun in each state. Apparently I was in WV when I was young too, but I don't remember that. So I don't have a least favorite state at the moment. I assume it'd be Texas or something since I hate being hot.

Anonymous said...

Pero Enrico -- Sí, eres caliente (siempre).

El Tímido