Thursday, June 11, 2009

Life is a cabaret, old chum...

Just recently, I saw the movie The Chumscrubber. I enjoyed it immensely. It reminded me of Donnie Darko, and even a bit of Requiem For A Dream...so yeah, you know now it's not 'the feel good movie of the year'.


It's all about American teens, the relationships they may or may not have with their parents, peers and society at large. Yet it's not really angst-filled. I mean, there's just too much crazy shit going on for any angst. Oh, and there's quite a bit of commentary on American suburbia in general.

I was quite surprised at the number of stars that were in this film. Of course you've got Billy Elliott's Jamie Bell in the lead. But also there's Glenn Close, Allison Janney, Carrie-Ann Moss, Ralph Fiennes, Lauren Holly, John Heard and a Culkin kid. to have so many stars in what was not a big Hollywood 'block buster' says a lot about the script, I think. And the acting is ALL first rate.

It really is a weird film involving drugs, vitamin suppliments, dolphins, weddings, tubas, kidnapping, a stabbing, an accident involving a police car, a suicide, drug laced caseroles, slashed eyeballs, a self help book, and an apocolypic video game called The Chumscrubber. Despite all this, I really can't recommend the movie enough. And frequently, I could not see where things were going at all, which I find very refreshing. And in the end, all the disparate storylines merged together quite well.

Just please, don't watch it if you're in a funk.

POLT Listening to "Topaz" by The B-52's

I just wanna thank God for thinking me up. - Patricia Heaton

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seeing how suburbia fucks kids up so badly it makes me very happy I grew up in a city and still reside there to this day.

I look at my cousin who lived a typical suburban lifestyle. Worst we did in the city was get drunk and high on weed. He was hitting the hard stuff out in suburbia.

Suburbs are NOT for kids.

that's J-O-S-H said...

I LOVED the Chumscrubber and get so exciting when I see that other people have heard of it! Good job!