Sunday, June 07, 2009

I feel the planets surround me, they gather round me...

Okay, so I started this new book called Planets, and it's about, obviously, the planets. it's got one chapter devoted to each one, and the sun and moon, but they're written differently, each chapter I mean. Frankly, since I've always been interested in the Solar System (thanks to repeated viewings of Star Trek reruns as a young, cherubic, lil Polt), I'm finding the book a fun and interesting read.

I purchased it this week at the Dollar Store for, obviously, a dollar. I wasn't sure looking at it if I was interested, but I figured, I'd take a chance, cause even if I didn't like it, shoot, I was only out a dollar. And, as is usually the case at the Dollar Store, there were multiple copies of the book shelved together, probably over a dozen copies in all.

Well, after starting to read it, I flipped back to the front of it for some reason, and found an inscription that read 'Merry Christmas John, Love "Moms" 2005'. I got to wondering, who's the inscription from? Is it from the author to her son? Or just a mom who bought it for her son? But the book's obviously never been read before, it doesn't even look like it's been opened before. So did John get it for Christmas and then just get rid of it without reading it? And how did it get into a Dollar Store? It obviously was sent there in bulk with the other copies. Did the author perhaps insribe a number of the books, and all of these were never sent to their intended places and ended up in the Dollar Store?

Honestly, the mystery of the inscription is almost as interesting to me as the story the book tells!

POLT Listening to "Lit Up" by Buckcherry

The boy's strong as an ox...and just as smart. - Foghorn Leghorn

2 comments:

Craig said...

I love that book! But no, that's not my copy.

Tam said...

How weird to find an inscribed book in a dollar store. It is a situation which gets your curiosity fired up. You could write a short story about it. :-)