Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I reach the point, past remembering, where the music is loud...

Been meaning to post this for a while(the names are changed to protect the innocent and not-so-innocent)...

The Monday after Mother's Day, I took mom out to eat. Our waiter came by, took our drink orders and then asked me if I remembered him. I didn't although I figured he was an ex-client, which he turned out to be. I guessed his name to be John, but he corrected me: Jason. I still don't remember him specifically.

Then, Wednesday, I was coming into work and in the lobby sat a well dressed young man. I said good morning as I passed and he said, "Is your name (my real first name)?" I stopped and said yes, and he said, "Do you remember me?" I didn't although he looked somewhat familiar. I knew they were doing job interviews and I knew they'd NEVER interview an ex-clients. But while looking at him, I guessed his name as Mike, and he said Matt. Then chatted with me like we were old friends.

One of my bosses then entered the lobby and called for "Mr. Smith." Matt Smith! I knew him then! He played Little League on my cousin's team 25 years ago one season when I was going to most of the games! But back then, he had a full head of blonde wavy unruly hair, and now he was nearly bald, or rather, with a shaved head. that's what threw me. Well, that and the 25 year passage of time!

THEN, Saturday, before work, I was waiting at a local convience store to get my breakfast sandwich made, and I was watched the people come in and go out of the store. I noticed a cute younger guy come in. He saw me and walked right up to me asking, "Do you remember me?" I had NO idea, not a one. I was thinking maybe ex-client, but he didn't seem so. Then he mentioned that we worked together at the drug store (in the early 90's), and it struck me. He was one of the twins that worked there the last year I did. I called him Robert, but he corrected me Richard. And then we played catch up until my food was ready.

But three times in ONE WEEK, I got asked "Do you remember me?" What the hell do these people want, I'm 41 years old, I can't remember what I had for supper Monday night, much less people I have seen in 20 years!

POLT Listening to "All Along The Watchtower" by Jimi Hendrix

How many of you want to wake up in a public restroom in what you hope is your own filth? - Jerri Blank, Strangers With Candy

3 comments:

Stephen R. said...

LOL! I'm with you! I can't remember entire relationships I've had.

Maybe that's for the best. :)

Tam said...

Too funny. You must be leaving quite an impression out there.

hoteltuesday said...

That happened to me!
This waitress from last summer only worked for one day before quitting.
So she came in to eat the other day and asked if I remembered her. But I actually did because I have a good memory and I liked her name (Ryan).