Friday, June 05, 2009

Feelin' like i got broken glass in my underwear...

So today, Craiggers had a post about how he assumes a guy is gay if (fill in the blank), and it started out being about funny stereotypes and devolved into a discussion about men's underwear (which really isn't that unusual on Puntabulous at all), and it got me thinking: I should do an underwear post.

There were comments from guys who paid up to $40 for a pair of underwear (I'm looking at you Dave S.) that is made of less fabric than the sock I am now wearing on my right foot! And that's all well and good, to each their own. I've paid $30 for a comic book back in the early 80's, and I'm certain Dave S., among others, wouldn't pay a tenth of that for any comic book (although that comic can now seel for upward of $800, and I doubt Dave S.'s underwear would sell anywhere near that...although with some of the freaks out there, who knows. But I digress...) and that's all okay too. It's just since my underwear comes three for like $8 bucks, its pretty likely in the last year I've spent just as much as he on underwear and have 15 pairs to show for it. But to each their own.

Primarily, I have boxers. I've got some older boxerbriefs I've had for a while, but no briefs. As I was growing up, probably until college, when I needed underwear, mom bought me some (she was doing the laundry before then, and when a pair got worn out and ratty, she threw it out, and then bought new to replace it), and she always got tighty-whities. Fruit Of The Loom. At that point, I didn't know I had other options. I saw guys in movies taking off their pants and wearing light blue boxers-ish things, but that was in the movies, that's not something I'd wear!

In fact, as I recall from lockerrooms in high school and middle school, the vast majority of young men in the early and mid 80's worn tighty-whites. I vividly remember when a guy named Mike in 9th grade started wearing boxers: just solid colors, no plaid, or funny stuff on them or anything. Caused quite a stir in the lockerroom cause it was different.

And I saw a movie right around that same time about a bunch of kids kidnapped in Australia and held in a bus buried underground (was supposed to be based on a true story). At any rate, the kids escaped and ended up going into some caves where they had to swim through some water (I don't remember why, just bear with me) and they all disrobed to thier underwear to do it, and one kid, the oldest kid, about 16 or so, was wearing just tight, red bikini briefs. I remember that vividly as well cause I never thought guys would wear bikinis under regular clothes and because...well, I revisited that image frequently over the next several weeks when I had "alone time".

I honestly don't remember when I started buying boxers. But I remember when I did, i just got rid of all my briefs (perhaps mom still has some dustrags around the house somewhere that used to gird my loins....but I really hope not) and wore nothing but them. And have been so ever since.

Something else I realized recently, I coordinate my undies with my shirt. If I wearing a white shirt that day, i pull out white undies; blue shirt, blue undies; green shirt, green undies. The only exception is that one orange shirt I have...I don't have any orange undies, so I just go with black then.

I'm not really sure WHY I coordinate them like that, I just do. Kinda like making sure my belt color matches my work shoes (black or brown) and that I'm never wearing white socks with dress shoes. Its just something I do, almost unconsciously.

However, unconscious or not, I'm fairly certain I'll never pay more than $10 for a single pair of underwear. Unless maybe it's a pair of Dave S.'s.

POLT Listening to "Boogie Shoes" by K.C. and The Sunshine Band

World domination? Are you nuts? How stupid do I look? I'll leave that to the religious nuts and Republicans. - Monarch, The Venture Brothers

9 comments:

FDot said...

Pffft. Between this post and the past few HNT's, you've completely destoryed my idea of you as someone who goes commando.

Tam said...

The image of your Mom polishing the furniture with your old undies is funny, disturbing but funny.

Girls have so many more options, from thongs to granny panties. I prefer something more in the middle of the road. And I would never spend $40 on undies unless I was pretty certain royalty was going to see them up close and personal later that night. You can get really nice girls undies for cheap so why bother?

Anonymous said...

We all have things in our lives that for which we'll pay a premium. In my case it's phones, I collect Western Electric manufactured telephone gear, from plain old residential phone to business phone systems. Highest I've paid thus far is $150 for a 1D2 payphone. (The one on the right: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3022/3110671683_14dc6ac6d9.jpg )

The other thing is wine. I like good wine and here is what I've found. Sometimes a good wine can be had for < $10, but most of the time a $70 to $100 bottle will knock your socks off. So I've dropped a few bucks on good wine.

So does that make me gay?

john said...

I never liked boxers: a place for everything and everything in its place. Boxer briefs are remarkably uncomfortable. The leg holes end up all stretched out and end up in places they don't belong.

I only wear briefs, mostly white, but I have a few pairs of gray and some black.

Mark said...

John: I just discovered Jockey (tighty whitey) briefs with a horizontal slit instead of the traditional vertical one. I Love them. They're soo much more intuitive to use.

Anonymous said...

I am still wearing my breifs from when I weighed 290 pounds. (now 170) They are completely usless and uncomfortable when they get twisted in the wrong places. I just cannot make myself go buy new underwear.

Maybe this post will get me going.

Onanite

Dave S. said...

Hmm... Should I be insulted or complimented? ;-) I'll choose complimented!

I love underwear! I've been wearing cool underwear since I was a teenager and I've never looked back. Back then, there wasn't as much choice as there is today of course, but I always gravitated to the ones that were different. No one ever saw them, but I wasn't wearing them for show, I just felt much more comfortable in them.

Now that I'm stripping, I *have* to have great underwear. Tighty whiteys or boxers aren't really what the patrons want. But then, I already have an entire drawer of cool undies so I have quite a selection to choose from. :-)

Polt said...

It's a compliment! Absolutely a compliment! :)

.....damn lucky patrons.....

HUGS...

hoteltuesday said...

What kind of movies were you watching? lol