Sunday, June 28, 2009

Got to let it show, i'm coming out, i want the world...

Forty years ago today, in NYC, at a club called the Stonewall Inn, a movement started. The Stonewall Inn was a gay club who's patrons were subjected to random, humilating, and senseless raids by the police on a regular basis. It was really nothing more than a way to harrass the 'queers', and unfortunately, was nothing out of the ordinary for the city, the country, or in fact, the world.

But on June 28th, 1969, a crowd gathered during the raid, as the patrons were being put into the police van, and a riot erupted. It was the first time gays and lesbians fought back against the government sponsered, clearly discriminatory police raids. And they rioted again the next night. And a few nights later. This is the first time gays and lesbians stood up, said we're not gonna take it anymore, and DID something about it.

And now, 40 years later, because of what they did that night, I'm able to sit here and type on blog, with potentially the entire world being able to read it, that I am gay man. I can do this without fear of losing my job, my home, my family or friends. Without fear of being arrested for saying so and potentially being committed to an insane asylum. Without really any repercussions at all.

Something that all the straight people out there take for granted, just stating who and what you are, I am only able to do because of those brave transvestites, those hustlers, those young people, those effeminate flaming men. I wish there was some way I could thank them. Perhaps all we gay people do thank each and every day we live our lives, just being able to do so without fear of persecution or arrest.

Previously, on this holiday, I've posted photos of sexy hot young men wrapped in rainbow flag towels, or painted rainbow colors or some such thing. This year, on this annivesary, I'm instead posting these, a photo of the Stonewall Inn in 1969, and a photo taken the night of the riots, showing some of the trailblazers who paved the way for me and all those other gays and lesbians that came after them.


Happy Gay Pride 2009

POLT Listening to "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley

Do not presume to lecture me on the hardships homosexuals must bear. No one knows them better than I. For while I am not inclined to discuss my sexuality with people for whom it is none of their business, I am gay. - Northstar, Alpha Flight #106

2 comments:

Tam said...

Very touching post. It is hard to imagine what it must have been like and harder for me to understand why it was like that. I can only hope things continue to improve all around the world because while its not quite perfect yet in North America, I know it many places its like 1969 or worse for gay men and women.

Mike said...

Unfortunately, depending on which city and state you live in, you CAN lose your job, and you CAN lose your home because you're gay. While the Pride festivities are fun, they are a far cry from the activism of 40 years ago. Admittedly, there's more that I could be doing to work for social equality in the US. But at a minimum, we all need to realize that there's still a lot of progress to be made.