Thursday, August 27, 2009

Oh no summon up the legions, to do our deeds...

I realize the Palace has been overstocked with stress-inducing posts about the house/computer issues at lot recently. So, to take things in a totally different direction, I'll post about something I haven't posted about in some time: comic books. (therefore, if you're not a comic book geek like me...and really, who IS a comic book geek like me...then you may skip this post).

I'm going to list my 5 favorite members of the Legion Of Super Heroes.

(this photos is from the late 70's-early 80's team. This is the team as it was when I started reading and collecting them)

1) Ultra Boy


He was always my favorite. I like him cause he had all the power of Superman (flight, super-strength, invulnerability, super-speed, penetra-vision), BUT he could only use them one at a time. Gimmicky, I know. But as an early teenager, I just thought it was SO cool. And becuase of that, he was always my favorite.

2) Phantom Girl


She can pass through solid objects. Which I think is a pretty neat power, always have. And she was around some 15 years or so before Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat appeared. Hell, she was around almost 18 months before the first issue of Uncanny X-Men was even in print! And coincidentally, she was also the longtime girlfriend of Ultra Boy. I thought they made an awesome couple.

3) Tellus


He's a later addition to the team. He's telepathic and teleknetic, and I am a sucker for mental powers. But also, as his picture obviously demonstrates, he's also non-humanoid. He's from a world methane breathing fish-like people. But, not only did I like his powers and appearance, but he totally had no clue about human society and culture, and was at a loss sometimes for the things we do. Which I can identify with, cause I've always wondered why people made fun of grown men who collected comic books.

4) Dawnstar


She can survive in space without a spacesuit, can fly at interstellar speeds and has an innate, incredible tracking ability. And while all that's interesting, I'm not gonna kid you, the main reason I liked her is the wings. I LOVE people with large, white, fluffy angelic wings. Always have. And so that's what first made her a favorite of mine.


5) Gates


He's a teleporter, which, surprisingly, the Legion never had until somewhat recently in their history. He's insectisoid and the non-humanoidness appeals to me. But he's also from a hierarchical world, but like a hive of insects. So they're all about the community as a whole, and the individual is not important to their culture. Therefore, he's always grumbling about the capitolist individualist cultures, which is kinda funny. I mean, cmon, who can't find humor in a cantankerous, Coummunist, alien insectisoid?

So, even thought you didn't ask for it, and probably care not a whit about it, there is a list of my top 5 favorite Legionnaires!

POLT Listening to "No Distance Left To Run" by Blur

Avert your eyes! That's a parent's undergarment! - Ted, Queer Eye For The Straight Guy

4 comments:

Tam said...

I like wings too. Communist insects not so much.

Ray Avito said...

...cantankerous, Coummunist, alien insectisoid...now there's something you don't hear everyday!

My verification word is "eudgists" and for some reason is intriguing me. "That eudgist spilled beer all over my jacket!"

Michelle M. said...

Tinya Wazzo? For reals??

Polt said...

Tam: Wings ARE cool, aren't they?

Ray: Gotta watch out for those eudgists!

Michelle M.: Really. Even more so, the planet she's from is called Bgztl. SERIOUSLY!

HUGS...