Tuesday, August 18, 2009

She comes in colors everywhere, she combs her hair...

We all know I love nearly anything purplish (eggplant being the exception. Is IT a pretty shade of purple, but pretty disgusting tasting. But I digress…), but some of you may be wondering what are my opinions of other colors. And some of you may NOT be wondering that, but as this is my blog and not yours, I’m gonna tell you anyways.

Blue: I like blue. Blue to me is Grover and the Cookie Monster. It’s clear skies. It’s a calm ocean. It’s half of purple. It can be someone’s deeply colored eyes. And since the mid-80’s, every four years, it’s stood for the Democratic party in maps of the USA during the Presidential election. Now I know ‘being blue’ can mean you’re feeling down or depressed, but since I rarely feel down or depressed, it doesn’t mean that to me. Blue is perhaps my second favorite color to purple.

Yellow: Yellow makes me think of bananas, which considering their shape, I surprisingly do not like. And of the sun, which means heat to me, and I HATE heat, and sunburns which I hate even more. It does stand for Big Bird, but that’s not enough to save it. Yellow is not a favorite color of mine.

Green: Green means lettuce, which is tolerable, and other green leafy veggies, which I do not like, and thusly not tolerable. Plus, it makes me think of grass, which I’m allergic to. And Oscar The Grouch, not a pleasant muppet. And if you’re green, that means you’re envious, not a good emotion to be. It does stand for the Irish and St. Patrick’s Day, but as I’m German, and have never tasted green beer, nor ever gotten drunk on St. Pattie’s, that’s kind of a moot argument for me. But it also means money, which is a good, good thing. Still, weighing both sides, I gotta say I’m rather ambivalent about green, although I tend towards the not liking side.

Orange: Orange stands for…well, oranges, which are kinda tasty. And it makes me think of Ernie from Sesame Street , who is pretty funny, what with the rubber duckie song and all. But orange isn’t even important enough to warrant a character in Clue! And it’s unrhymable, which purple is as well. But I can forgive that in purple since it's so awesome, but not in orange because it's not awesome. While tasty, it is not a favorite of mine.

Red: Red is the color of Republicans and it's the color of blood, both of which make me nauseous. It's Elmo who, if we're all honest, is a bit irritating. And when you get a rash, its always itchy and red. And if you're seeing red, then you're very angry! However, red is the color of apples, cherries and strawberries. Still, despite my love of the red fruits, I just can't get behind wrathful red.

Brown: Brown is the color of poop. ‘Nuff said.

Black: Black is the color of night, which is spooky. And it’s the color of tar, which is stinky and sticky. And it’s the color those irritating, yet sometimes cute, Goth and Emo kids wear. But black IS slimming when worn. Also, there’s the comic book heroes of Black Canary, and Black Lightning, & Black Widow, and Black Knight, which were in the Justice League of America and the Avengers, two of my favorite comic books ever. So, in spite of the potential scariness, I’m saying I like black.

White: White stands for virginial, purity, innocence...of which I am the diametric opposite. But it also stands for snow, which I do love. However, all in all, it just seems a bit drab to me. And I can't think of a single cool comic book character with white in it's name, excpet for the White Witch from the Legion Of Super-Heroes, and she's recently become the Black Witch after absorbing Mordru's magic (don't ask), so she doesn't even count anymore. So it's an okay color, I mean it's no yellow or brown, but it's not a great color either. And well, the fact that white is actually the absence of any color may have something to do with it too.


Chartreuse(???): I have NO idea what the hell color this is. I'm just glad I could spell it correctly.

So, what are your favorite colors, and why?

POLT Listening to "Not For All The Love In The World" by The Thrills

We're all born naked. All the rest is drag. - RuPaul

10 comments:

Michelle M. said...

Green - grass and trees, life. It makes my eyeball feel better to look out the window and see green.
Blue - the sky and ocean. Ahhh.

Purple is awesome, of course.

I don't like yellow.

How do you feel about silver, gold and pink?

Your comment about orange not rhyming with anything reminds me of the Witchipoo Oranges Poranges song.

john said...

Oh my GOD Michelle would you get out of my head! It is NOT pretty in there! I always think of the Witchipoo song in relation to orange.

Orange is my favorite color. It can be bright and cheery, or like fire and passion or fun like Halloween or deep like fall or pumpkin pie.

I like purple as well, but am drawn to the deeper tones of purple.

Green was my favorite as a kid. I wear a ton of blue (I probably have 10 shirts with blue in them).

lime said...

oh i love, love, love that you linked so many colors to sesame st. characters. i gotta say, i like green. oscar may be green but so is kermit and he was just the coolest frog in the world. and well, with my nickname (which i took from trini slang, not the fruit or the color but it eventually links back to the fruit etymologically) green has kinda grown on me in the last few years.

purple i have some difficulty with because my entire life was colored purple when i was a kid. you'd get along great with my mm, she is absolutely bonkers for purple and always has been. there is just something about people who have purple as their favorite color...they have so much more passion for it than lovers of any other color.

i do like yellow in some contexts. my bedroom. i like it yellow. helps it reflect the sun in the morning and wake me up with a color that feels kind of warm and energetic.

i like all the colors in some way...except maybe for chartreuse. i can tell you it is what i describe as sinus infection yellow/green. how putrid is that???

word veri: blingle. seems like it ought to be the name for a color.

FDot said...

I thought purple rhymed with nurple?

I tend to prefer mauve since it's a soothing color.

Royal Blue as I like the richness of it.

Red, as for some reason, I look halfway decent in it (even though I do recall you said I was appalingly physically unappealing, or somesuch like that).

And taupe, because it's fun to say.

Anonymous said...

My favorite color is black. I have no real reason except that it is thinning. Go figure.

hoteltuesday said...

Thanks for stealing my blog ideas (from my music post). lol. jk :P

My fave color is green. I love it.
My 2nd fave color is blue. I love it too.

Amie said...

I love yellow. It is the color of lemons and water with lemon is my favorite drink. You should not be so mean to yellow.

I also like silver.

that's J-O-S-H said...

I adore Yellow (the color, not the Coldplay song with that weird beach video) and Blue (the color, AND the annoying early 00s hit single by Eiffel 65).

Tam said...

I like blue and red. (In Canada red is liberal and blue is conservative politically so we are the opposite of you, but I ignore politics when it comes to colors.)

Blue is the perfect shade of the Carribean sea, the sky when its just that right shade of blue I can never describe. Its also a bit sad, but I like blue.

Red is exciting, red is energy, red is smokin'. Red makes me perk up and notice. Red sneakers are way cool. :-)

I like most colors really. I don't wear yellow because it makes me look like I have jaundice though. And I love me some goth boys in black. ;-)

Ray Avito said...

I very much like a really vibrant red and also forest green.

When I wear all black it makes me feel like Audrey Hepburn...