Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Posting on the Palace is liable to be a bit different for a little bit. Last night, my desktop decided to go on the fritz. Well, I kinda helped nudge it in that direction…it was stuck, taking way too long to do something, which it’s been doing a lot of lately. And so, as I’ve done lately, I just turned it off without shutting it down. I know, I know, mistake.

When I went to restart it, I ended up with this message telling me Windows didn’t start properly (and sorry for the inconvenience) but I could try restarting it normally, which I did, and got right back to the same screen. Or I could try to restart it with the last good settings (or something), which I did, and got right back to the same screen. I noticed a countdown at the bottom of the screen and let that run out, which started the computer over, and got me right back to the same screen. There was an option for safe mode, and I tried that one, but ended up back in the same screen.


So apparently, I’m not able to access Windows at all. Yeah, that’s how I felt too.

I still have my laptop (which I’ve not used in months), so I can still access the internet and post and stuff. But all my photos for Shirtlessness du jour, Monday’s Hot Shirtless Guy Photos, Frenching Fridays, and so forth are all on my desktop. Hence, the difference in posting, until I get this fixed.


So I’ll still be posting, but it’ll be a lot less picturesque until I can get whatever’s wrong with it fixed. *SIGH* I’m not going through withdrawl or anything, but it IS mighty frustrating!

POLT

6 comments:

hoteltuesday said...

This is why you (and everyone else) need a Mac.

Anonymous said...

Trust me a Mac isn't the ultimate solution.

As an I.T. professional, I always setup client machines using the tools that I use. That includes running AVG for anti-virus, Firefox (With AdBlock and FlashBlock add-ons)for web browsing, Thunderbird for email, and PopFile for spam filtering.

Every client I've done this for has been blessedly free of problems.

But I also educate my clients. I explain the concept of phishing and even have examples of such things to show them how to distinguish real email from fraudulent.

I emailed you a quick way to at least access the machine to copy off files, etc.

And ditch the desktop. Everything is going mobile now. I'll never buy another desktop machine unless I'm going to set it up as a server.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear of the problems. I understand computers can be really annoying at times. Good luck.

Onanite

stratcat45 said...

Do you have the disks that came with the computer?

Michelle M. said...

You should find a software engineer and chain him in the basement. They come in handy when the computer acts up. I'd be lost without mine. I can barely operate an Etch a Sketch as it is.

Tam said...

Well shit. We do that to our computer all the time when it stalls out. I really should phone them today and see if its going to be ready tomorrow. I NEED it. I'm hoping I don't need to buy a new one anytime soon cause I'm so not ready for that.