Monday, August 15, 2005

Just relax, get ready for the Penguin...

Was talking with mom this afternoon, and noticed the movie "March of the Penguins" was still playing locally. I didn't really have that great of an urge to see it, but I know Mama Shockey LOVES penguins, so I mentioned going to see it, and she jumped at the chance. So we went to see it.

She surprised herself by being able to get for a senior's price, since she is not a senior. So we got into a theater, a smaller one in the building, and there's no one there, but it's very dark, really dark. They only had minimal lights on, and I had trouble seeing as well, although I could see better than she. She stopped almost right inside the doors and said, "Boy, it sure is dark." I waited a few seconds and then saw she wasn't going to move, so I went around her and told her to come on this way. I walked us down the center aisle, me a few steps in front of her. I then said, "Here." and went into a row, four seats over and stood there. She was still in the aisle, turned around, at the end of therow in front, and said, "Wait, where are you?" I said, "Here." and she says, "Where I can't see you." And so I waved my arms up and down and she started laughing, "Oh, I can see movement...but I can't see you."

Bearing in mind my size and weight, and the fact we were barely ten feet apart that should give you an indication of the darkness, and her eyes.

She came into the row, and i sat down. She walked a bit over and then damn near fell over the seat she was trying to sit in. That started her laughing and giggling, and that started me laughing. I'm glad no one else was there to see it. So she sat down, and then, attempting to put her purse in the seat beside her, she dropped it on the floor, while the seat was still up. This started her laughing again, and she asked why she was having so much trouble. I could only answer that her senior irises apparently don't react as quickly as they used to. Adn we both laughed again.

I dont recall the last time I went to the movies with my mother. I know we saw Fahrenheit 9/11 last year, but before that, I have no idea. Anyway, I don't know if she did it before or not, but at this movie, my mother was one of those....*gasp*...movie talkers! yep, she talked about the movie, and TO it, DURING the movie. And not in a quiet funeral/wedding tone of voice. I'm just real glad no body was sitting particularly close to us. I hate it when people do that. And so I tried to ignore her so she'd get the idea, but apparently with being a senior not only comes loss of iris control, but a loss in the ability to pick up hints. But as the movie went along, she gradually did cut back on it. Thankfully there weren't that many people there.

The movie itself? Oh it was alright. had it been a one hour special on the National Geographic channel, or PBS, or Discovery, or the Nature Channel, it would have been very interesting. but at 1 hour and 15 minutes....it drug on. Good, but long.

POLT

The two parties have morphed into on party with two heads, wearing different make-up. - Ralph Nader

No comments: