Thursday, August 11, 2005

There's no need to argue anymore...

So, this morning, I'm sitting peacefully at my desk, trying to wake up, when a co-worker walks in to my office, we'll call him C. I don't even know how it started but before long, C and I were involved in....a discussion. It started with something about Bushie, and then somehow went to Nazi Germany, killing of gays, violence against cops, an armed rebellion, and gun control. I attempted to diffuse it by leaving my office go get some coffee, but he followed me there, and we continued it there. Finally, not being totally awake yet (hence the coffee, which I kinda loathe), and having a somewhat sort throat anyway, I told him that I didn't feel well, he needed to leave my office now, I was done. He started to say something else, and I cut him off and said "I'm done! Get out, now." And he left.

Fast forward to early afternoon. I go back to a room where he is, walk through it into another room where i have some business. Among the 4 females in the room with him, is his wife, whom we'll call J. As I walk into the other room, he says, "J., whats your opinion of gun control?" I ignore him cause Im in the other room, but I hear her say, "What?" And he explains that he said it to tease me, and that he got my goat earlier today over it.

My business in the other room didn't take long, so as I passed through the first room, i got right up into his shit (standing between he and his wife, who were talking, actually) and said, " ONE, I will not argue with your wife over this because she is a lovely woman and I respect her, TWO you did NOT get my goat this morning, I was just being the bigger man and ending it before one of us said anything we'd later regret, and THREE bite me." I finished, and there were a few heartbeats of dead silence in the room and C. looked at me, first shocked, and then as a smile creeped across his lips. And then there was an outbreak of applause from all the females in the room, including his wife. "Well said,"she told me. "and I respect you too." which led the other three ladies to reply that they respected me too. And then C. said he respected me as well. And I answered, "yes, well I respect everyone in this room..." and as i left the room, I added, "that doesnt have a penis, that is." Which resulted in more laughter, from C. himself as well.

I know better than to argue with him, he's such a wingnut. And had I been feeling better, or more with it, I probably wouldn't have even started a conversation with him about politics. I'm just glad I was more awake in the afternoon to counter him then.

POLT

If God had wanted me to be on the ice, he would have made me a vodka martini. - Mike, Queer As Folk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello again,

How many converstations/discussions with you about political stuff have I cut short because I knew that I would not make a dent in your exterior despite using logic and factual information??

There are lots of wingnuts out there when it comes to controversial issues. Most of them are in the government already or at least have political science degrees. (grin)

Your "Fairy Godfather"