Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Whatcha gonna do with all that junk up in your trunk...

This morning, it finally turned cold. It was like 29 degrees on the way to work, yay! When i got to the car this morning, I saw that the windshield was all iced over, happens sometimes, but I just HATE scraping ice. So instead last year I bought a bottle of de-icer. Didn't use it too much last year, and when it got warmer, I put it in the trunk...where its' been rolling around back and forth ever since, causing me a minor irritation (but not a large enough one to put it elsewhere).

At any rate, I opened the passanger's door and put my briefcase in on the front seat. then I went back to the trunk and popped it open with the automatic opener. As I pushed the trunk lid up, I looked in and saw the bottle of de-icer laying about halfway back in the trunk. And I reached in to get it...

Allow me to pause me story here to say that the trunk on my last car (that I got rid of back in January of 2004) had a trunk that when you opened it, it popped right up as far as it went and stayed roughly vertical until you pushed it back down. Naturally, it was a bit smaller lid, as that car was a VW Jetta and I'm now driving a Chrysler Concorde. I have opened my current car's trunk before on numerous occasions, but I guess I kinda thought it operated just like the other car. Or maybe I wasn't thinking about it at all. Or maybe I just misjudged how far up I had pushed the lid. Or maybe I had pushed it up far enough, but it was heavier and came back down a bit. And I WAS concentrating solely on getting the bottle of de-icer. Having explained that, let's resume our tale.

...and proceeded to slam my head squarely into the trunk lid. And not just a love tap, oh NO! I hit it so hard I saw stars. So hard I thought I might puke. Or maybe pass out. I had to turn around and sit down on the bumper. I mean it was THAT hard! I'm not sure how long i sat there, rubbing my head and breathing deeply, to let everything pass, and the drums pounding in my head to stop...but I'll say ten minutes wouldn't be out of the question.

I kept putting my hand to my head there and looking at my hand to see if there was any blood, which thankfully there wasn't. And as far as I can see, it not even swelling, go figure that. I did eventually get the de-icer and clear off the windshield and then get to work. And considering how the morning started, my day went pretty well.

Moral of the story: Never assume the lid is up enough when you're checking a trunk, cause you might get smacked upside the head.

POLT

Vaginas are like a melted candle with hair on it. - Seth, Significant Others

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have the same problem with our Chrysler Concorde. In the winter the trunk lid will not stay up. You are lucky to be alive. I was slammed once in the back of the head when the lid fell on me.

Doug said...

Oh, Polty! I hope your noggin is okay.