Thursday, January 29, 2009

Applyin' the same logic to the gearshift...

Okay, so if you've been reading along, you know that yesterday I had to fork out $394 for a new starter. I picked the car up, drove it to mom's where I left it overnight. This morning I drove it to work. After work, I stopped to get my comic books. Then I drove to the insurance company and paid $349 for my car insurance. Then i drove to a Chinese restuarant to get my supper.

I get back into the car, turn the key....Aaaaaaand nothing! NOTHING! Won't start AGAIN. Oh, I'm fuming. $400 for what? NOTHING!!!

I grab my phone and call the mechanic. He answers and asks how I am. And I tell him: Not happy. And I explains going on. His reponse?

"You're kiddin?"

Oh, yeah right, like I got nothing else to do with my afternoon but call my mechanic and joke with him about something going wrong with my car that I just paid $400 the previous day to fix! SUUUUUUURE!!!

So he asks if it's clicking or anything, and it isn't. Then he says, "Put your foot on the brake, put it in neutral and then try to start it." I do, I do, and I do...and it starts right away. Apparently, it needs a 'gearshift adjustment' or some such shit. I ask if I need to bring the car in tonight, and he says no, not now that I know what to do. And when I bring it in next time, like to change the oil or what have you, he'll do the adjustment then. he seemed like it was not big deal.

I hope it's not, but tomorrow, I'm gonna ask the mechanic at work what he thinks about this. See if a 'gearshirt adjustment' is just a simple thing, or something like changing the transmission. *SIGH*...Miss Cleo....she's a good girl and a real classy broad...but damn, she's getting old.

POLT Listening to "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash

"Coach Norv Turner is looking for some defense." "Coach Norv Turner is looking for some Maalox." - Dan Deardorf, AFC Divisional Playoffs, Jan 2008

5 comments:

Stephen R. said...

"You're kiddin?" Because he said that, you should call him every day at the exact same time and tell him that the starter isn't working. And when he says, "You're kiddin?," you can say, "Yeah! Gotcha!"

What a mah-roon!

Polt said...

Yeah, you're right Stephen....but he's kinda cute: 5'7, 150 lbs, black hair, beard (which i don't really like usually, but can pull off) and THE most devastating smile....So i don't mind taking Miss Cleo there. :)

HUGS...

Anonymous said...

Oh I would have been WILD! Thankfully, you were able to get it started quickly.

Tam said...

Holy crap. I'm with John, I would have been having a royal hissy. Hopefully that fix is all it needs and you won't end up stranded somewhere.

Anonymous said...

It's probably the neutral safety switch. That makes sure the clutch is pushed in or the gear shift is in neutral when you start it. It prevents you from starting it in gear. That might have been the problem to begin with. It isn't a big deal to fix as long you have a mechanic that doesn't charge an arm and leg for labor. The part is very cheap.