Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The demons in your head, the wolves under your bed...

Just got done watching this movie I got from Netflix called "The Wolves Of Kromer".



I'm not sure what to make of it, but I'm pretty sure I liked it. Or at least it's message. And of course, it's eye candy.

It's a story of these...well, man wolves. I mean, they're men, but they have Vulcan-like ears, and longer fingernails, and wear furry coats, and have...tails. And the village they live around is frightened of them because they're...well, wolves. And there's a priest from the church there who hunts them, because they're "from the devil". But there's also a story with these two crazy old ladies trying to kill this other old lady, and when they succeed, the lady's family arrives. The son goes on a hunt for wolves with the priest, but he questions why they're hunting the wolves, why we just don't leave them alone.

Halfway through the film, I thought this might have been a stageplay, and the credits revealed it was. That would have been an interesting performance, to say the least.

the wolves are a not so subtle metaphor for gay men. they're outcasts, they're persecuted by the church. Their viewed with suspicion. the mother wonders if her son could be a wolf. To the leads are a couple, but Gabe admits he's fooled around with another wolf, and that makes Seth leave, and Seth then runs into the daughter and they end up having sex, but Seth has to go back to Gabe.

It's not as convoluted as I'm making it sound. The end is great, with Seth and Gabe both in heaven dancing with the dead grandmother! And the priest is shown to have a wolves tail hidden under his frock. See, kinda beats you over the head with the metaphor.

Nonetheless, I come to the conclusion I've enjoyed it. And I'd recommend it...if anyone can possibly be interested after by disjointed review. But in the photo above, there is Gabe and Seth (yeah, the one on the right is a guy), and they are nothing short of beautiful, almost too pretty to be men. That kept my interest in the film. And here's another photo of Lee Williams, playing Seth.



Beautiful.

POLT Listening to "I Can't Get No Satisfaction" by Devo

You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror. - George W. Bush

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've seen this film, but was disappointed by it. I liked the two stories, the wolves and the two old women, but I was bothered by the combination. The metaphor was played too obviously, but I will agree the ultimate message was a good one.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a cool movie, I'll have to order it from netflix.

Onanite