Sunday, January 11, 2009

I lost my way back then, and now i'm lost again...

Bushie and his comrades are out there now trying to rewrite the history of the last 8 years to say that Bush actually wasn't really that bad and was actually a pretty good guy. They think (or hope, or pray) that history will judge him more favorably than he's judged now. But once he's out of the White House and all the documents from his administration are seen and read, history going to, I'm certain, judge pretty much as we are now...if not worse.

But, Polt, why is that? how can you know that? Let me hit you with a few statistics I found in an article online:

The "Then" is the best-available figure as Bush was taking office in 2001. The "Now" is the most recent figure.

UNEMPLOYMENT RATE
Then: 4.2% (Bureau of Labor Statistics, January 2001)
Now: 6.7% (Bureau of Labor Statistics, November 2008)
DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE
Then: 10,587 (close of Friday, Jan. 19, 2001)
Now: 9,015 (close of Tuesday, Jan. 6, 2009)
BUSH FAVORABILITY RATING
Then: 50% (1/01 NBC/WSJ poll)
Now: 31% (12/08 NBC/WSJ poll)
CHENEY FAVORABILITY RATING
Then: 49% (1/01 NBC/WSJ poll)
Now: 21% (12/08 NBC/WSJ poll)
SATISFIED WITH THE NATION'S DIRECTION
Then: 45% (1/01 NBC/WSJ poll)
Now: 26% (12/08 NBC/WSJ poll)
CONSUMER CONFIDENCE (1985=100)
Then: 115.7 (Conference Board, January 2001)
Now: 38.0, which is an all-time low (Conference Board, December 2008)
FAMILIES LIVING IN POVERTY
Then: 6.4 million (Census numbers for 2000)
Now: 7.6 million (Census numbers for 2007 -- most recent numbers available)
AMERICANS WITHOUT HEALTH INSURANCE
Then: 39.8 million (Census numbers for 2000)
Now: 45.7 million (Census numbers for 2007 -- most recent available)
U.S. BUDGET
Then: +236.2 billion (2000, Congressional Budget Office)
Now: -$1.2 trillion (projected figure for 2009, Congressional Budget Office)

But perhaps you don't like dry boring numbers. Then let Keith Olbermann show you just how bad the last 8 years have been...and in under 5 minutes nonetheless.



To Bushie and his supporters I'd just say: the truth hurts, eh?

And to all those out there who subjected us to this chucklehead in 2000, and especially in 2004, I say to you: this is all YOUR fault. If you've lost your job, or lost your savings, or lost your home, or can't afford to send your kid to college now, or have some relative fighting for their lives in a desert we have no business being in in the first place, then I say, GOOD, it serves you right. You vote for idiots, then idiotic things SHOULD happen to you. I'm just sorry you had to drag so many other innocent Americans down with you. Shame on you, I say.

And I don't want to hear any of this, "Oh I didn't know how bad he was" or any shit like that. I and many many others KNEW! If you didn't know, you either weren't paying attention or were just plain stupid enough to be hornswaggled by Bushie and his ilk. Either way, I say again, SHAME on you.

And the next time you decide to vote Republican for a national office, just remember how you feel now. Maybe it'll help clear your mind. Once bitten, twice shy, I should hope.

POLT Listening to "House Of Fun" by Madness

Abby is NOT manipulation me - I wanted to eat at Chuck E. Cheese today. - A Local Celebrity, Mr. David ParisPeking

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

well I did want to eat there....

Eternal Lizdom said...

One of my favorite recent moments was when Bush and Laura were doing some interview and he's "admitting" to some of his mistakes and the interviewer asks him what he thinks people will say about his presidency when they look back. He hesitates, unsure of what to say. Laura jumps in. "I think they'll say they felt safe. That's what I hear from people. They feel safe."

BULLSHIT.

Anonymous said...

What a travesty the Bush administration has been. He has destroyed so many lives. He will go down in history as one of the worst Presidents we have ever had.

Shame on those who voted for him.

Onanite