Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What about my broken car?, what about my life so far...

This morning, I got out to my car, preparing to shovel off the small bit of snow that had fallen on it. I put the keys in it to warm it up and....nothing. It was dead again.

This had happened in October on the way back from Columbus, but a battery jump got everything up and running. It happened a few weeks ago, and this time, i had him put a new battery in (Miss Cleo's a 2001, with 115000 miles on her, and she still had the original battery), and thought that would be the end of it.

But on NO, then this happens. So, pissed off, I walk over to mom's, where she makes me breakfast (Mama Polt's hot homecooking on a cold snowy morning...yummy), and I wait until the mechanic's shop opens.

He comes out to look at it, and says it's either a started, alternator or loose wire, but he can't tell from there, so he'll need to get a rollback and take it to the shop. I had planned for this contingency, and Mom was ready to take to me work, which she did. I also had planned for a trip home, with a girl from work, the always helpful Stratcat43, who, by the way, also installed and got up and running my wireless router!


Well the mechanic called me with the news: it was a starter, $365. I don't know if that's just for the starter, or including labor or what the hell it is (I'm sure it doesn't cover the cost the rollback), but what can i do? I need the car, and I need the starter to start the fucking thing, so yeah, I need to fork over the money to get it replaced.

I'll be paying for that tomorrow on Wednesday. Then on Thursday, my car insurance bill is due: $379. Then, on the 1st, I own my landlord my rent: $475. And that's not to mention the Discover bill, electric bill, cable bill, and phone bill.

Well, there goes my paycheck this Thursday, already spent before I got it. *SIGH* I guess this is why God invented Savings Accounts, right? Plus, I've got all my W-2's, if I get the taxes done soon, I should be getting that money back (I did a quick calculation last week, looks like I'm up to get $1200 back from the Fed, state will come out even, and I'll owe about $420 local, so I'll end up $800 ahead there).

I love just getting all my debts finally paid off in October, and then, three months later, getting hit with all this. Such IS life....

POLT Listening to "Story Of My Life" by Social Distortion

I love hitmen. No matter what you do to them, you don't feel bad. - Harv, Sin City

3 comments:

Tam said...

Car repairs suck. The $365 probably includes labor, the parts usually cost $2.75.

Michelle M. said...

What a crap day. I hope tomorrow is better for you.

Bunny said...

I'm sorry, that sucks. The $365 must include the labor, because a starter doesn't cost that much, even brand spanking new (I'd get a rebuilt one, they are cheaper and usually work just fine).

$475 for rent!! OMG, what I wouldn't give to only pay that! But we've got 4 people and two cats to house, plus we're paying for a house in S.C. and a house in MI.