Thursday, January 15, 2009

Undress me, will I look like a fool (Part 149)...

Once more, kiddies, it's time for that self-'revealingation' that is....


For Christmas, I got Mama Polt a fire extinguisher. Not only does she cook a lot, but she heats with a wood stove, so fires are something we need to be prepared for. She had another one, but that one was at least 10 years old, if not more. She wanted the new one cause of how old the other one was.

So, this past week, she said she wanted to get rid of the old one, but you couldn't just throw them away, they needed to be discharged as well. And she asked me to take care of that for her. (seems kinda funny she wanted a fire extinguisher, but wasnt' comfortable discharging the old one. one hopes she won't be similarly uncomfortable if she has to discharge the new one. But I digress...)

So, when I was over there I took it into the back yard. She stood off to the side a bit while I discharged it. I was surprised at just how fast it all came out. It would have, I'm certain, been able to put out a fire.


I had thought that over time, they lose their charge. Oh, well, live and learn. And what I learned this time is, that discharging a fire extinguisher in the backyard, when there's no wind, tends to create a whitish fog throughout the neighborhood. Thankfully, it didn't hang around long, the wind did kick up and take it away. And the recent rains got rid of the large white spot in the grass in the backyard.

To see what others have done in HNTland, click HERE

POLT Listening to "Genius Of Love" by Tom Tom Club

I heard somebody say, 'Where's (Nelson) Mandela?' Well, Madela's dead. Because Saddam killed all the Mandelas. - George W. Bush, on the former South African president, who was still very much alive, Sept. 20, 2007

6 comments:

Moosekahl said...

That sort of sounds like fun! And you can never have too many...we have had four fatal house fires in the area since the new year from wood stoves. Happy HNT!

Jennybean said...

I wanna try, I wanna try....

MarcelloNYC said...

You're a bad boy!

LOL HHNT!

lime said...

let me tell you from experience, discharging one of those in a galley kitchen when bacon grease catches fire really makes for...um...a fascinating dispersal pattern on every.single.surface.

fyi, if you are ever in doubt as to the condition of an extinguisher you can take it to a local firehouse. many extinguishers can also be recharged after they are used. the firefighters can tell you whether or not yours can be recharged.

JW said...

Lucky you.

I've had fire-training at work a couple of times in the past few years and the best part is always trying out the different extinguishers - it really brings out the kid in me :)

Happy HNT!

Anonymous said...

Ha...too funny.

HHNT!