Saturday, January 10, 2009

Funerals are nicer when we know you're there...

Tonight, mom, my grandma and I went to a viewing. It was mom's cousin (gram's nephew). Gary was only 65. Died of a massive heart attack while sitting on the bed putting on his socks. By the time his wife got there, he was already dead.

Gary always had a smile, a laugh a story to tell. They had those posterboards set up, three of them, full of photos and damn near every single one of them had him in a big smile. He was doing goofy stuff in a lot of them as well, but that was Gary.

I wasn't that close to him, but he worked at the Post Office until he retired a few years ago, and everytime I went there, there he was, smiling, story-telling. Mom is only 6 months older than him, and so they were very close, growing up together.

We got there early, luckily, about 15 minutes before the viewing officially started. And there was already a short line. When I left a bit over an hour later, the line twisted and winded its way through the hallways and rooms of the funeral home, it was astounding. But then, working at the Post Office, first as a deliverer and then in the building, for years, he knew a large amount of people.

Gary's sister was there, and her son was with her. Mark is in college and swimmer...and really quite cute. I noticed this standing in line waiting when I could look at him. And then I was kinda bothered by that...but I'm not sure what bothered me more: being attrached to my cousin, or finding him attractive while at a funeral. Ah whatever...that's the way I am, I'm not sure why I'm even surprised.

Anyway, it is quite sad. Gary's daughter told the funeral director to make sure he gave Gary a grin on his face, cause she wouldn't have it any other way. And ya know, the corners of his mouth were indeed turned up a bit, like a small grin. And I know that's the just the way Gary would have wanted it.

POLT Listening to the Arizona - Carolina game

It's amazing I won. I was running against peace, prosperity and incumbency. - George W. Bush

4 comments:

lime said...

my condolences. i am sorry to hear of your family's sudden loss. i am glad there was some comfort even in something like a small grin.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry for your loss, it sounds like Gary was an enjoyable person to be around.

Tam said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Gary. It does give comfort thought to know that he touched so many people's lives in a positive way. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

It is always hard to let the good people go. I am sorry for your loss.

Onanite