Friday, July 22, 2005

High risk insurance, the time is right...

After work, I went to pay my car insurance. Previously, everytime I walked in the door, there was a waiting room (where strangely, no one was ever waiting...), and beyond that, was the desks of the agents where I made my payments. This time, as soon as I opened the door, I stopped. Not more than 6 feet away was a counter, with a desk behind it. That's what I first noticed. But almost immediately, my attention went to what was behind the counter: Ben Smith (at least according to the name plate on the counter). Had the counter not stopped me, Ben certianly would have!

Ben was quite the cutie. Under 20 (but how under, well I'm no good as guessing that), and was quite nappily attired, in his black pants and white State Farm shirt...the top two buttons of which were unbuttoned...showing just enough of his throat and upper chest to be enticing without being revealing. He had dark hair cut short and combed straight down, which could have looked dorky on some, but certainly didn't on him. He had a round, smiling face, and I believe blue eyes, and a pleasant smile.

Benny (as I had now taking to calling him in my head) said, "May I help you?" I managed to NOT say the first things that came into my head, for I'm sure my embarrassment would have only been exceeded by his. SO I answered, "oh this is new!" He chuckled and said something about it not being too new.

I had reached the counter, and was kinda leaning on it, so that I could look over and take in the whole package that was Mr. Ben Smith. Apparently I had been doing it a bit longer than I should, cause he cleared his throat. I then told him what I was there to do, told him my name and took out my checkbook. I told him I forgot how much I needed to pay (which was the truth...at that point in time there was little on my mind but the Ganymede in front of me. He told me and as I was writing out the check, he was typing on the computer. He said something about the computer shouldn't do what it was doing. And I made some witty (?) retort about it being okay if it deducted money from what I owe. he laughed appreciatively. I had the check written out and he was still fooling with the computer, so I thought, HEY, Time to put on the ole Polt Charm! I asked if he was an agent in training, or what? yeah, it sounded better said than it does here. He said he was just helping out over the summer (which means when I go in in January to pay my insurance again, he won't be there....which kinda sucks). I nodded.

When he asked me if needed a receipt (which I have NEVER needed as I've got everything written down i my checkbook) I said please if you could. And in my head i added "Anything to get to stay around you longer." SO he printed it out, and handed it to me. I thanked him, and took it and folded it, then went to the door, trying to think of something...pithy, memorable, something to make him hurdle the coutner and leave with me right there and spend the rest of the night in the throes of hot passionate love with me (hey, a guy's gotta dream, right?) But he siad something about it being hot outside. And I agreed, but added that I was now off work, and he grumbled that he still was, but at least it was air contditioned. And, not having gotten ANY kindo f blips on my gaydar, and seriously approaching the "unwanted stalker" threshold, I told him to have a good night, and left.

And on the way home, I SWORE at myself, making up several explitives along the way, beacuse I didn't have my camera with me! I even thought, this morning as i left work, when i saw the camera that I should bring it, but then I thought, oh i'll just be at work, can't use it there! DAMMIT! I KNOW not to go anywhere without my camera! What WAS I thinking?
***********************************************************
as an aside, I checked on other rates, and Progressive wanted $40 more, Geico $20 more and AIG $60 more than what I'm now paying with State Farm. So I can't complain too much about it, I guess.

POLT

You can't buy love, but you can pay heavily for it. - Henny Youngman

No comments: