Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Be patient, comin' to the rescue, people...

Today, I had CPR training. We have to have it every freakin year. It's really pretty boring, cause it's basically the same stuff each year. But we have to do it, so what can ya do?

And I got to take it with my buddy Ryan. He's such a nice kid. Cute too, but real nice, and fun. And my friend Laura took it with us as well. She and I had a a great lunch at a big buffet restaurant. And another co-worker Eric took it with us. We also had like 6 guys from another entire department. Guys that work in that department are usually arrogant, and assholes about a lot of things. These guys, though, were pretty good. Quiet and all. Did what was required and didn't mouth off about it. That was good.

We had to all this rescue breathing, and chest compressions on the manniquins. And they were on the floor. And i'm telling you this, Uncle Polt's knees are NOT what they used to be! God DAMN it, it hurt to be on the hard floor with nothing but a thin blanket moving back and forth from the chest compressions to the breathing and back. And yeah know, I'm rather top-heavy, my center of gravity must be pretty high on my body, cause it was damn near impossible for me to tilt the head back and pull the chin up AND then lean down to breathe into the mouth and NOT fall on my face! I discovered if I wasn't so close the mannequin, if I was back a bit farther, it was a bit easier. but we had to do like two reps of 30 compressions and two breathes and dammit if I wasn't sweating a bit and getting tired. I tell you, I had about two or three more reps in me and I woulda been done.

If I ever have to do CPR on someone, they damn well better pass out in front of the ambulance squad or hospital, cause once I do about four reps, I'm out of energy and there needs to be emergency personnel there to take over right then!

Still, it was a day away from actual work. That I got paid for. Without using leave. And with a good meal. And good times with friends. So it wasn't a total loss.

(Oh, and the photo is NOT of anyone in my class, but anytime I can show two cute young Asian guys doing...well, anything, I'm gonna take it!)

POLT Listening to "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol

I'm fat, black, cranky and menopausal! You do NOT want to mess with me. - Amanda Waller, Suicide Squad (vol 3) #1

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have had to do the CPR training also, and it is hard to do. I wonder if I needed to do it in real life if I would really be able to keep it up for very long.

I just pray I never have to use the training.

Onanite