Thursday, January 31, 2008

I may not be a doctor who can cure your ills...

Where I grew up, we could pick up Pennsylvania PBS and Maryland PBS. And when I was just a young Polt, I tried to watch a Dr. Who rerun on the PBS station. They replayed them Saturday nights at like 11:00 or something. But it was in black and white. And had really cheesy special effects and sets and dialogue. And I just could NOT follow what was going on.

Then, in my late 20’s, I watched another episode. Still, just could NOT get into the storyline. Then, just a few years ago, I heard that they were starting up with a new Doctor, the tall bald-ish guy. I watched the first episode of that…or rather the first portion of that. While the quality of the episode was dramatically better in terms of look, sets, special effects and such, the storyline itself was simply too convoluted for me to get interested in and I turned it off before it was even half over.

Then, late last year sometime, I stumbled upon an episode with the newest Doctor. It dealt with statues of angels that could only move when no one was looking at them, and time travel as well. I know it all sounds convoluted what I wrote, but honestly, I was captivated and loved it. So I've caught a few more episodes, and I'm totally into it. I don't know what this has now that it didn't have before, but I'm trying to catch as many episodes of it as I can.



And then there's the Doctor Who spin-off Torchwood. I watched this just cause it followed Doctor Who the one night. And it too involved time travel. And best of all, for me, the guy in charge Captain Jack, is apparently bi-sexual. And the next thing I know, he's liplocking with the guy back in 1941! On the dance floor! In front of the whole crowd! Oh, I nearly cheered!


So I watched the episodes since then, the final one for last season and the first one of this season. And there's this guy that works on the team, Iogi (?), who is apparently Cap'n Jack's sometime shag partner. Schweet! I loved that the bad guy in the last episodes (someone from Cap'n Jack's past, and who had a pretty nice kiss with him as well), called that guy "Eyecandy". made me chuckle.


I used to ignore Doctor Who and his fans, privately mocking them for being so fanatical about something that was, in my opinion, so poorly done and uninteresting. And now....I'm all about BBC America Saturday nights to watch these!

*SIGH*....I'm a fan now of Doctor Who...my journey into the land of total geekdom is now complete.

POLT Listening to "Uninvited" by Alanis Morisette

"I can show you where the STD clinic is." "I BET you can." - Polt

3 comments:

David said...

Huge fan of Doctor Who. Been watching it since my PBS station in Chicago began airing it in 1979.

I love the new series very much, despit -at times - falling into camp (that sometimes happens when a show is run by a gay man).

As for Torchwood, this show runs hot and cold with me, but I still like watching it.

Ianto is the name of the character that Jack asked out on the season opener.

Geek I am.

Jared said...

You got so lucky - Blink (the name of the angle episode) is by far and away the best episode of the three seasons of the new run. I mean it is a great episode. I also strongly suggest from season one the two parter The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances. This is amazing horror story telling plus it is the first time we meet Jack. (Father's day is also a really powerful season one episode). From season two the best episode (and also the second best episode of the series) is the Girl in the Fireplace (season two is the beginning of david tennant's run - I am not into men but he is HOT!). You saw seasons three best episode. I also suggest the season finally because it has a song by the Scissor Sisters in it.

The very first episodes (late 60s in black and white) had some seriously deep stories. Real good writing. Threw out the series camp there where some series philosophical episodes. I might write a list of must sees sometime.

Jared said...

Almost forgot - human nature in the third season is also really good because it shows the most human side of the doctor ever. There is camp, but it is a real tear jerker by the end (also a two parter).