Thursday, January 03, 2008

Well i'm a middle-aged teenager, i'm a man of angst...

I was reading through the various blogs that participate in HNT today, and I came upon one in which the woman defined herself as "a middle-aged mom". Checking out her photos, she certianly didn't look like what I would classify as "middle-aged".

And that got me thinking...when exactly DOES 'middle age' begin?

I think the average American man lives until somewhere abround 75 years. So if you divide that into three sections, 1-25 would be "early age", 26-50 would be "middle age" and 51-76 would be "late age". But I doubt anyone would consider their 30 "middle aged" and certainly not thier late 20's.

Then I thought, if the average man lives to 75, that means the halfway point, averagely, would be 37.5, so maybe that's when middle age begins. But I had always thought you were 'middle aged' like in your late 40's-50's. After that, you're just old.

But I don't know if any of this is accurate. And I wish someone would clear this up for me, because I'm looking to have a mid-life crisis, and I want to know when to start.

.....course, I guess a mid-life crisis is different from being "middle'aged"...although you'd think they'd occur concurrently.

I guess as one reaches 40, these sort of things become more and more muddled, eh?

POLT Listening to "Let Forever Be" by The Chemical Brothers Oil: 99-.28 (+.10); Gas: 3.15 (+.09)

When I talk to a man, I can always tell what he's thinking by where he's looking. See, if he's lookin' at my eyes, he's lookin' for intelligence. If he's look at my mouth, well, he's lookin' for wit and wisdom. And if he's lookin' anywhere else except my chest, he's lookin' for another man. - Dolly Parton

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

40 is middle aged. 48 like I am is old. Too bad, so sad but true.

Onanite

Bunny said...

I started my mid-life crisis at 39. But I try not to think of myself as "middle-aged," even though I probably am.

Michelle said...

Middle aged is a horrible term....lol I am 43 and I vow to NEVER be middle aged....lol (Uh huh...yeah, right! lol)

Rhea said...

I'm 49 and I've been having a midlife crisis most of my life. Age doesn't matter.