Wednesday, January 30, 2008

We are immortal, we are the last two left...

So, John Edwards has dropped out of the presidential race.



I'm surprised. Not that he did it, but at the timing. I was talking to Johnnie last week sometime, and he said if Edwards doesn't win Florida, he would drop out. I didn't think so. I thought Edwards would hang in there at least until Super Tuesday next week, and then see. I thought he might get a block of delegates to take to the convention with him, and then could maybe be the kingmaker, depending on how close it was between Clinton and Obama. But no, clearly I was wrong.

I am saddened by his leaving, just as I was saddened by the lack of people responding to his message and backing him. I've been supporting him for nearly a year I think. In total honestly, I backed him first because we NEED a Democrat in the White House, and I thought he was the only one that could win. I thought the country would never vote for a black man or a woman. Obviously, I was wrong.

But as I listened to him, I found myself agreeing with him more and more. His pointing out that corporations RULE this country, and we've got to take them on to make things better for the average American really rang true to me. That's pretty much how I feel about things. I liked that he wasn't afraid to point out that there ARE two Americas now, a rich one, and everyone else. And how the rich and the corporations were running this country into the ground, at the expense of everyone else, soley to line thier own already bulging pockets. I liked what I heard so much that last fall, I donated money to his campaign.

But some things are not meant to be.

When the Pennsylvania primary rolls around in early April (two months after it's all over), I'll be voting for Edwards. Not that it will matter then, but primaries are for the parties to pick who they want to represent them in November, and I still want Edwards to be that person, so, in a totally symbolic gesture, I'll still vote for him. I always try to vote my conscience.

For quite some time, I've been saying "I support Edwards, but am leaning Obama." and that still holds true. So now, I hope that Obama does better than Clinton. But please, dont' get me wrong, come the fall, I will enthusiastically support whoever the Democratic candidate is because 1) we need to get some sense and logic back into the White House, and we need to give the Democratic Congress someone who will work WITH them and not against them just because he can, and 2) Any one of the three Democratic candidates is head and shoulders above the best of the Republican field, hands down.

Yes, I am sorry that Edwards left, although I can't blame him for it. You can only continue to lose so many races before the racing itself becomes pointless. But I am fully prepared, ready and anxious to do all I can to make it so that I can go to DC in January of next year and watch a Democrat being sworn into office, just as I did in January of 1993.

POLT Listening to "Flash" by Queen

Why don't you mentor a child how to read? - George W. Bush

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said. I'm sad to hear him drop out as well. We can at least still hope that he will be picked up as a Vice President running mate.

Anonymous said...

It really is ridiculous how we refer to anyone with even a single drop of negro blood in their generations of backgroud as black.

Obama is only partly black. You can tell by the way he talks, too.
He "asks" people questions.
If he was 100% black he would "ax" people questions (using a proper black accent). Am I wrong???

Furry Godfather.

Bunny said...

I thought Edwards would in until the convention, even though he knew it was a lost cause.

I'm with you on voting for whichever Dem makes it through the convention. We need a total change in the White House and no Republican can provide that.

Anonymous said...

Edwards lost his home state, not a good sign. I'm not afraid of a woman president. Especially this one. She has the experience and the advisor next her that was the best Prsident we've had in a long while. Obama has Jesse Jackson and Oprah Winfrey. Can a woman lead? let's see: Indira Ghandi, Golda Meir, Margret Thatcher. They sure couldn't do any worse. Ed