Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Mario man, zap, zap, wham, wham...

Toronto story: The last night there, we decided to eat at East Side Mario's, and Italian place. We took the subway to King street and walked to the restaurant. There was a cute little gay guy who greeted us and seated us. And we noticed a cute gay waiter, with a kinda wild afro jsut barely restrained by a headband. And he was dancing with one waitress to some of the music, which was, if I recall, early 80's/disco stuff. Poltgirl Ag and I enjoyed it, as we remembered the music, but Ghostie the Dead Boy Wonder kidna just groaned at every song. He didn't get it. Probably the fact he was born in like 1982 has something to do with it.

At any rate, out waitress was a cute little fun girl who, despite not being a cute little gay boy, I did have fun with. Purple is my favorite color, and I had been on a purple kick for some reason all trip, pointing out anything that was purple, and takin photos of some. So near the end of the meal, I say to my friends, since it's out last night here, we outta do a shot. And Ag was like, whatever you want (she knew better than to argue with me about it, since I was in a goofy mood), and Ghostie was, well, not unreceptive to the idea. So when the waitress came around, I told her we wanted to do a shot. A shot of something PURPLE! She looked at me strangly (I know how hard that must be to imagine), and asked why purple? I shrugged, unable to really give her an answer. SO she said she didn't think they had any purple food coloring, but she'd check with the bartender.

So while we're waiting, a bunch of the servers come out of the back, singing a happy birthday kind of tune that they do at these type of places. Aggie immediately looked at me, "the LOOK" prepped and ready to hurl my way. Her birthday is the end of October, and I guess she thought maybe I had set this up. But i frantically shook my head, and told her I had nothing to do with it. Which i don't think did anything to reliever her anxiety. she only calmed when she saw them get to another table.

WHile they were singing, our waitress came back and said the bartender said there was a drink with cranbberry juice in it called a Broken Down Tractor, and it's kind of purple. And I was all for it. So she went to get them.

In the meantime the singing group had broken up, and Aggie looked at me and pointed her finger and said, "If you EVER do something like-" but she was cute off but the wild afro gay waiter, who was walking by our booth and heard her.

"OH! Is is YOR birthday too?" he exclaimed. Aggie attempted to say something, but he yelled, "WE GOT ANOTHER ONE!" and started singing the song, quickly joined by two or three other servers. All the while, I was laughing hysterically and trying to tell them it wasn't her birthday. I dont recall what Ghostie was doing, other than laughing too. Aggie while trying to explain, was also trying to find a hole to crawl in I would imagine. :)

Eventually, our waitress came back and shoo-ed them all away. The wild afro guy was the last to leave, laughing along with us. The waitress than asked if it was her birthday and Aggie and I both assured her it was not.

Then, she brought us our Broken Down Tractors...which were only purple-esque. She said something had reacted with the cranberry juice, and now there was like only a tinge of purple in the shot. But that was enough for me. SO we took them, toasted "To Toronto" and downed them.

Our waitress then brought us the bill, and she had written on the top "Thanks, [and her name]" and below that "Keep it purple!" WHich made me love her even more! And then, she brought us like hard candy....and they were ALL PURPLE! I asked her if all the candy was purple or if she had to root through them looking for three purple, and she said she had to find them herself. That little bit of extra effort endeared her to me even more...and got her a nice tip as well.

POLT = listening to "Nice Dream" by Radiohead

The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest miseries that have afflicted the human race have had their origin in religion. - Thomas Paine

No comments: