Sunday, October 23, 2005

See the little girl lost...

My mom was shampooing carpets and I was there along with my 5 year old cousin, whom I'll call Lexi, because, that's her name. We were taking her to see the new Wallace and Gromitt movie, as a surprise, but we had to eat first, and she was kinda underfoot, so I said I'd take her to McDonald's with me and we'd pick up some food. So I buckled her into the carseat in the backseat and we were on our way.

On the way to Mickey D's, I snapped a picture of her with my camera. I just held it over my shoulder and snapped, and it came out pretty good actually.
Anyway, we get to McDonalds and place our orders. She wanders over to this 3 sided video game machine they have placed there, but I'm watching her the whole time. So while we're waiting for our food, I think I'll just fill up my drink. BUt first I went to her and told her, either stay right at the game machine or come over right by me, but do not wander off anywhere else. And she says okay.

So I go to the Coke machine, which is on the other end of the restuarant, but I can still see her. I fill my drink up, and as I'm finishing, I see her next to me. She wants to push the button to fill the drink up. I tell her I'm already finished filling it. Looking a little rejected, she nods and starts off back to the video machine.

So I top off the cup with soda, get a lid and put it on, then grab a straw, peel it and put it in the lid. I then turned and started towards the machine. But I didn't see her. So I figured she was on the other side of it, where I couldn't see her. I got to the machine...and she was nowhere to be seen.

Surprisingly, I didn't panic. I thought, she has to be here somewhere. So i checked all three sides of the machine (which i could just by moving my head a little bit) and didn't see her. I looked back to the counter (where our food still wasn't ready) and to the Coke machine and didn't see her anywhere.

The restrooms are in sight of the machine, so my first thought was, "she went to the bathroom. but how can I check?" And then behind me, and older said, "Sir?" When I turned around she said, "Are you looking for her?" and there was Lexi, at ANOTHER video game, at the front of the restaurant, half way between the one I was at and the Coke machine. I thanked the lady, and got Lexi. I brought her up to the counter, cause I figured our food would be ready soon.

I knelt down next to her, so I was at her level, and explained what she had done and that it worried me, cuase I didn't know where she was. She said she was at a video machine game. Which, technically was true. Adn therefore she didn't disobey me, but it wasn't the one I meant for her to be at. She wasn't saying it defensively, just like an obvious statement of fact. Oh, the simplicity of the thinking of a child.

I didn't scold her, because she didn't purposefully disobey, it was just a miscommunication. So then we picked up the food and the evening progressed.

But that night, in bed, I got to thinking about what COULD have happened. I mean, what if she had wandered off. Or if someone had taken her. God, my cousin would kill me, not to mention what could have happened to her.

I love kids, really I do, but perhaps its a good thing I don't have any. Or at least don't have responsibility over any. Other than being the cool uncle, Uncle Polt. The one they play with and have fun with. Cause that duty I can easily fill!

POLT = listening to "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel

What good is beauty if it's only skin deep?

No comments: