Friday, March 24, 2006

Here's a reality check from the streets...

Today was not a good day. It's wasnt a particularly bad either, just nothing seemed to go right. I had started a few project that all fell apart in the morning. Luckily, things feel into place in the afternoon to cover the problems, so most of it worked out well, but I was still not happy in the morning.

And then I get a "heads up" from one of my superiors. he says ANOTHER superior was asking about my leave slips. Now, I always put in a slip when I'm off. And as for being late, well I ususally am. But not more than 10 minutes. And today, I called in to say I'll work 9-5 instead of 8-4 (for that extra hour of sleep), and I DID stay until 500!

But I know where this is coming from: the office bitch/life vampire. You know the type: everything has to be HER way, and if you offer another way of accomplishing the same thing, well it's WRONG! and she sucks the fun and life out of ANY situation. And she schmoozes two of the bosses so well, they can't see how she is. She has her head so far up thier asses she can see thier tonsils. And I had had it out with her last week that I simply do NOT have enough time to do the duties that have been thrust upon me, some that used to be hers. And she told me I'd have to take that up with "the big boss", and I assured I would, once I got time. SO my figuring is, she beat me to him, and brought up how I don't have enough time cause I'm cheating on my vacation and leave and stuff or soemthing equally outrageous. (I DO take a lot of time off, but I submit slips for it, and I have the time to take, there's no cheating involved)

At ANY rate, it was her being her own bitchy/vampire self that even brought this up. I know it is. So right away, my hackles are up and I'm expecting the worst, cause that's usually what happens.

So at the end of the day, I see the department heads going off into a meeting, and unscheduled meeting, and right away, my office paranoia kicks in and I think (the "big boss" is telling them to watch and monitor my comings and goings), and it pissed me off (She's done shit like this before, so this isn't anything new either).

A bit later, a department head,named T, takes a co-worker off to the side and talks to him privately, and even when I walk by, I hear hushes voices from them. So I figure the word's being passed to monitor me. After a bit later, I manage to get the co-worker alone, and casually ask what the big secret was, with T, if he's allowed to tell me.

He says T has cancer in several of his organs (kidneys, liver, etc) and will be starting chemo Thursday, and probably will be at work off and on for a bit. And that's what the meetings were about. And T doesn't really want it spread all over, hence all the secrecy.

Ain't it something when life bitch slaps you with reality life a large slimy fish across your face? Here I was, fretting, worrying, getting all pissed about petty office politics, and in fact it was all about T and his cancer. Kinda put everything in persepective, eh?

And now, I kinda feel like a heel, but also, feel sad for T. BUt at least my own issues with the office bitch/vampire are in their proper perspective now. But what a way for it to happen.

POLT = listening to "The Drugs Don't Work" by The Verve

What you guys consider homosexual, we call a stunt. - Steve-O, Jackass

No comments: