Saturday, March 11, 2006

The hills are alive, with the Sound Of Music...

I don't feel 100% tonight, something's going around work, and I think I got it, so this is liable to be my only post for the day. Nonetheless, last night, Mama Polt, her sister, and my lil cousin Lexi (she's 5) went to see the local high school prodcution of The Sound Of Music. Several thoughts from then:

1) The auditorum seats, hard as rocks they were, were there when my aunt graduated high school, which was before even "I" was born! I guess when you're using 40 year old, or more, seats, you gotta expect them to be uncomfortable.

2) The director, before it started, came out to say a few words, and had everyone that had been involved in ANY high school production, EVER, to stand up. Mama Polt made me stand. But there were quite a few others, and we all got a round of applause.

3) It was OBVIOUSLY an amatuer production, as the "orchestra" obviously needed a bit more practice. BUt most of the actors were pretty good. It was a bit funny to me to have Maria that looked younger than one of the "children" she was supposed to be governess of.

4) The guy playing Max was hiLARious! And the Mother Abbotess had an inCREDible voice, on full display when she sang Climb Every Mountain.

5) The guy playing Kurt was a cute kid probably a sophomore, or smallish Junior, with a pleasantly bulging behind held in check by those tight white shorts of his uniform. The kid playing Frederic was just skinny, somewhat freakish looking and distracting. Couldn't sing worth a damn either.

6) In the audience was an presumably former student/current theater fag at whatever college he was attending. I enjoyed watching him during intermission almost as much as I did the play itself.

7) There wasn't as much eye candy as I had expected there.

8) The guy in the orchestra playing the bass stood up the whole time with his bass being a bit taller than he was. And from where we were sitting, he was right in our line of sight. But that wasn't as bad as it could have been, cause he was lean, with an awesome hairthing streaming down to his shoulders, and a nice clear complexion (which I got to see up close when he stood in the aisle and talked to the teacher sitting directly i front of me).

9) the pauses in between the scenes were sometimes obnoxiously long! Something surely should have been done to speed those up.

10) why someone would bring an INFANT, i mean, not more than 6 months old, into a play like that is beyond me! WHat the hell are people thinking? What's even more amazing, is that he didn't start crying or fussing until the second act, he made no noise at all during the first one.

11) One of the girls in the chorus is the daughter of a girl I graduated with. Sweet JESUS, I'm getting old!

12) Lexi managed to stay awake and with it until just the last two scenes. Then she was tired, say on Mom's lap and went to sleep. I was surprised she kept it together that long, I didn't think he attention span was that long.

13) I wonder if anyone involved in this production has heard of the word "air-conditioning" cause they certainly should have turned it on!

14) During the singing of "Adelweiss", the conductor turned around and had the audience singing it as well, jsut like in the movie. yes indeed I did sing along, and out loud. And supringsly, no one's glasses shattered, or was driven insane. And when they called for the Von Trapp family to come out and collect thier prize, three times, I clapped everytime, like I expected them to come out. Wasn't the only one either. Mama Polt leaned over and told me "They're not coming back, they're escaping"...as if I haven't seen the movie like a DOZEN times on TV! I told her "I know that, but this is a play with audience participation, and I'm participatin!"

15) Overall, a fun time. Not the best, nor the most professional, but for what it was, it was good.

POLT = listening to "Arms Of The Angels" by Sarah McLaughlin

It would difficult, if not impossible, to undervalue the role of your personal appearance in my present hierarchy of concerns. - Codename Knockout #10

No comments: