Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Training Day, in my hood....

Today, I had to go to that training that I just found out about less than a week ago. It was supposed to snow a bit, but luckily, the weather held out for us. I certainly wouldn't have wanted to drive to Annapolis, over the two mountains and on the Interstates and the Beltway in slow, sleet, or even rain.

The trip down was rather easy, considering it was Baltimore rush hour traffic. BUt we only had a few slow spots, not real stops or anything. The training itself was actually, surprisingly, informative, fun and enjoyable. And the drive home went much quicker, as we got out and onto the beltway before the evening rush our traffic.

During the training, I kept checking out this other guy there: Duane. He was from a neighboring facility. He was tall, I mean tall. I'm 6'1 and he was a good 6-8 inches taller than me. And he was thin. And his last name, beginning with H was the same last name as a a very tall thin guy with the name Derek that I had gone to school with. And I wondered if they were related. Finally I decided they HAD to be.

So during a break, I asked him where he went to school, and he said the same one i had attended. SO I told I went to school with Derek and he said Derek was his brother! How cool.
Derek and I never really were close, he was a jock, kinda arrogant, and we never had much interaction, but I knew him. SO Duane and I talked a bit then (which didn't bother me at all considering Duane is MUCH hotter than his brother!), and we exchanged office numbers and he's going to come to my workplace for a tour (with some co-workers too, dammit). ANd we've got each other as a contact now, if we need something.

Networking can be fun AND interesting!

At any rate, it was a pretty darn good day. Very nice to be out of the office, have a pleasant drive, with pleasant company and enjoy myself. Unfortunately, tomorrow's back to the grind....argghhh!

POLT = listening to "Every You, Every Me" by Placebo

Life is a game and true love a trophy. - Rufus Wainwright "Poses"

No comments: