Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay...

Yesterday, when I was at my parent's house, the guys arrived to take down thier tree. This tree had been in front of the house for as long as I can remember. It was a right outside my bedroom windows when I was living there, and i vividly remember it being right outside. My parents used to trim it themselves, but they've been unable to over the last three years, so they wanted it cut down.

I was kinda sad. At times like these, I tend to instill human emotions in inanimate objects. I wonder all that the tree has seen, and what it could have seen, had it been allowed to live longer. How many birds and squirrels ran through it's limbs. How many dogs peed on its trunk? There was never a swing hung from it, but a larger tree might have been able to support one. Oh, well, time changed everthing.

I had my camera with me, and I snapped photos of the progress of bringing the tree down.












Also, afterwards, when i was on my way home, I looked back down the street and took a photo.


I grew up on the left hand side of this street, and as I did, I can recall 7 trees of various sizes up and down that sidewalk. All are now gone. the only one remaining, is the large tree on the right hand side, you can see part of it halfway down. This street used to be tree lined, full of shade in the summer, piles of leaves in the fall, and home for birds in the spring. All that's gone now. And I think something greater than just the trees is lost because of it.

However, I was not going be maudlin about everything. One of the guys there to tear the tree down was a shirtless, ripped, muscular tanned hairy chested hunk, and naturally, I got several photos of him as well.


























































POLT

I'm 38 years old, driving a crappy car, with a son who doesn't appreciate me and I'm a Snickers pie away from losing my foot to diabetes. - Homer, The Simpsons

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is sad the tree came down. Why did it have to go? I feel sad for it.

Onanite

Anonymous said...

I planted a small Pine tree several years ago it was about 6 inches tall. Then it grew and gew until it was about 60 feet tall. Unfortunatly, it was near my parents house. I tried in vain to convince them it wouldn't fall down but they said it had to go. No there is a large stump there and a big empty space. Don't laugh I feel like there is an empty place inside of me too. I grew up with that tree. I climbed up in that tree when the world got too rough. "...held on through blame and faltered not at praise and when he fell in whirlwind, he went down as when a lordly cedar, green with boughs, goes down with a great shout upon the hills and leaves a lonely place against the sky. (Edwin Markham)