Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Aw, you better recognize, son...

This morning, the latest issue of The Advocate arrived, so I was looking through it while doing laundry. (When I got my clothes out of the dryer, I found 6 dollars in there too, must have been in one of my pockets. Didn't even know it! Score! But I digress....) And while paging through, I came upon page 30, and article about a kid who put his college education on eBay, asking someone to bid on it, starting big $80, 000. I was intrigued, not only because of someone having the balls to do that, but the kid was kinda cute. (See below)
While reading the interview, my eyes kept going back to the photo (natch), and the more I looked at it, the more I came to realize I KNEW this kid. My first thought was perhaps I'd met him through work, but that didn't seem likely. And then I thought (prayed, actually) that he was perhaps a past...conquest of mine. but no, much to my disappointment, that didn't seem to be it either.

And then I read how he was attending Howard University, a DC resident, and volunteer for HIV groups. And then it hit me! I KNEW where I knew him from!

Last year, at Capitol Pride in DC, one of the groups there had set up a kissing booth. You paid a dollar and chose which person you wanted to kiss you (there were like 4 guys and 2 girls there when we were there) and they either kissed your cheek or your hand, your choice. Ag, because i was too much of a shy wallflower (well, at THAT particular moment, I was. Shut up!) She paid for both of us to get a kiss. She chose a cute black young man, but I had my eye on this cute redhead the whole time. (Oh yeah, I got a thing for redheads....But I digress...) So we each got our kisses.

And then, I thought of taking a photo. So Ag and I got in the midst of all the cute little volunteers, and one of them took the picture. Redhead-boy and I had our arms around each other, and just as the picture was snapped, he leaned up and kissed me again on the cheek. I was suprised and he told me that one was free. I laughed, and Ag and I went on our way. but I never forgot he cute little redhead with the free kiss.
And THAT was the kid who was interviewed in the Advocate!!! Above is the interview itself, below is that picture! I know they're not the best, but it IS him! And now, the stalker in me has a name to go with the memory: Scott Simpson.

How cool that someone I know was interviewed in a national magazine! (oh shut up! i KNOW we only met once, and my connection to him is periferal at best, but how many people can say they've kissed someone that's been interview by the Advocate??? Don't pop my bubble, Bernice! Just let me roll with this a bit! Geez.......)

POLT = listening to "Better Days" by Citizen King

I saw him standing there, by the record machine. I knew he musta been, about seventeen. - Joan Jett, I Love Rock And Roll

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lots and lots of "digress"ing lately. They have medication for that, ya know.

Fairy Godfather