Thursday, December 08, 2005

Simple needs, just rent, groceries and gasoline...

All day, we've been hearing the weather reports: 4-8 inches of snow overnight, an additional 2-4 tomorrow morning before stopping about 900am. Snow. Cool. Love snow. Hate the shoveling, but love the snow. Oh well, slower going to work tomorrow, have to try to get up a little earlier than normal.

That, has been my thought processes about this. I had heard all the horror stories over the years of people rushing off to stores and wiping them out of milk, bread, and toilet paper. (yeah, when I'm snowed in an can't get out, just what I wanna eat, toilet paper sandwiches, washed down with milk). BUt I had thought they were exaggerations. I mean, its a snowstorm, a couple inches of snow. It's not like Hurricane Snowflake is bearing down on us or anything.

I also thought that I needed some orange juice, and was out of bread, and wanted to have a salad for supper, so on the way home I stopped by the grocery store. I normally got there after work on the way home, and it's a smaller Food Lion, kinda a bit out of the way, behind an appliance store. I pulled into the lot and three sentences flashed into my mind:

Oh. My. GOD!

The lot was nearly parked full! ANd there were three cars idling right in front of the store, in the fire lane. (that pisses me off too, but that's another story for another time...) It was insane. And when I got inside, well it was no better. There were three of the little hand baskets there. Normally, there's three columns of them. ANd the place was packed with people! It was nuts!

The bread shelves were about half empty. The milk shelves...well! They had 7 containers of milk left. SEVEN! And there were, what, five different shelves there! That's all that was left. I didn't DARE check out the toilet paper aisle (and, well, I didn't need any toilet paper...)

So i went to the express lane, 12 items or less. And of COURSE I got behind a guy that had 37 things (Yes, I DID count!) And naturally, after he had been totally wrung up, only THEN did he decide to say he wanted two packs of snuff. At least he didn't pay with a check!

Despite all this, I wasn't wound up or upset about it. Oh I WOULD have been, but for Kenny, the cashier and Wesley the bag boy. Kenny, with his dyed Goth black hair, combed straight down over his forehead, into his eyes, his earrings, and tattoos, and red bee stung lipped smile, yes he kept me distracted by the full frontal brunt of his Kenny-ness. And Wesley, with his closely cropped hair, wide ears (all the better to grab onto and move his mouth whereever you want it), pooka shell necklace, blue eyes, and his surprisingly-deep-for-a-twinkie-boy voice telling me have a good night. He even double bagged my Pepsi without being asked to. I didn't even remember how insanely busy it was, much less that there was gonna be a snowstorm. Iw as gone, to my happy place, just me and Kenny and Wesley.

And then, reality kicked back in. The traffic was insane! I don't know if there'd be this much havoc if it was announced the world would end at 800 in the evening. No, there probably wouldn't be, I mean, if the world's gonna end, who the hell needs toilet paper?

POLT = listening to "Hold Me Now" by The Thompson Twins

It's getting hot in herre, so take off all your clothes. I am getting so hot that I wanna take my clothes off! - Nelly, Hot In Herre

No comments: