Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Coming for you ass as fast as Flash Gordon...

I am giggling like a lil schoolboy! I found out that the animated Flash Gordon series was coming out, so earlier this week, I ran out and bought it!





I remember, back in like 79 or 80, I'd get up Saturday mornings for the cartoons. Oh, they had your Bugs Bunny/Daffy Duck hour, or the Super-Globetrotters hour (yeah, THAT'S a memorable show), and naturally, you had your Super Friends! But then, later in the morning, like 1130, or maybe noon, Flash Gordon came on!

and that, well that blew me away. The animation was way above the other stuff at the time (but it was still primitive by todays standards), and there was an all season story arc. I mean, it was episodic, not like other cartoons where if you missed a week big deal. no, if you missed a week in this one, you didn't know what was going on. And it was EXCITING too! Carnivorious plants, swordfights, fist fights, gladiator battles, etc, etc, etc. I LOVED it!

Yes, I DO know it's all kidna silly and antiquated now. But it's FUN! No, someone raised on the cartoons of the 1990's won't enjoy it (this means YOU, Ghostie), but I have fond memories of it as a kid of 11 or 12. It was outta this world!

Let me give you a description of it that I found online:

“Flash Gordon—The Complete Series” follows the adventures of the heroic Earthman Flash Gordon, who travels with the lovely Dale Arden and scientist Hans Zarkov to the distant planet of Mongo. There, they must team up with Thun, savage leader of the Lion Men, dashing Prince Barin, leader of Arboria, and Vultan, King of the Hawkmen, as they battle the ruthless and evil Emperor Ming the Merciless, ruler of Mongo. Complicating matters is the alluring Princess Aura, who often plays both sides against each other. On the exotic Mongo, Ming’s army of robots aren’t the only menace, as dinosaurs, witch women, amphibious Gillmen, rock creatures and two-headed Tsaks also imperil the heroes!

I know, I know, as I said, silly. But I'm damn near 40, and I'm entitled to a mid-life crisis, and buying this DVD set for $25 is a helluva lot cheaper than buying a red convertable!

POLT = listening to "American Idiot" by Green Day

Be kind to your knees, you'll miss them when they're gone.

No comments: