Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Lose my mind with your stop sign...

Today, over lunch, I drove to Circuit City. I wanted to get Brokeback Mountain. They had it for regular price $19.99 and on sale for $17.99, which really wasn't all that much of a discount. I liked the movie, I want to own it, but that's not enough of a discount. I figure in 6 months to a year, they'll have a hoarde of them on sale for like $7.99 or something. I can snatch it up then.

So I got back in the car. Outside of the store was a crosswalk, and a stop sign on either side stopping traffic coming either way. I pulled up the aisle perpendicular to the crosswalk and traffic coming both ways. I had to stop too, and checked both ways. And old lady in a cadillac was on my right, stopped. On my left, coming towards me was a gold colored Cooper Mini-ripoff. I have no idea what it was called, but it attempted to look like one. And the lady driving was coming at a pretty good clip. I was gonna pull out, figuring she was gonna stop at the sign. It's a good thing I didn't.

She cruised right through it. I saw what she was gonna do,and hit the horn and pointed to the stop sign. As she drove past me, she flipped her hand out towards me, dismissively.

Normally, I just swear and let stuff like that pass. But today....well today, the bitch troll/life vampire from work was spreading her hate and discontent all over the workplace, and I was a bit pissed about all that. Plus, I was sleepy, as I hadn't slept the best the night before. SO I thought, "No, I am NOT going to let this pass." And I pulled out and followed her.

She drove to Wal-mart (how typical). I followed her as she turned up and aisle and parked. I waited in the aisle. She got out of the car. I had my window down, and I said, loudly, "Excuse me." She was walking around the front of her car towards the aisle closer to the store, on the other side of where I was parked. ANd it was windy, so maybe she didn't hear me. So I said louder, "Excuse ME!" Again no response.

Now I was really pissed. So i got out of my car, and stood next to it, cupped my hands around my mouth, channeled Suzanne Sugarbaker and shouted, "HEY, LADY! EX-CUSE ME!" This is did stop at, and turn around, looking to see who was yelling. She was scowling...or maybe that was just her natural facial expression who knows.

Having her attention I said, 'You know that WAS a stop sign back there you just ran?" She honestly had the gall to say, "What stop sign?" "The one in front of Circuit City that I pointed out TO you as you drove by!"

She got a look of indignation. "Oh that was YOU?" She looked at me like I was something stuck to the bottom of her shoe.

"Yeah, that WAS me. If i had pulled out, you would have slammed into me broadside."

When she spoke to me next, it reeked of condesention, like she was talking to a toddler. "Well I was in a hurry. And it would have been your fault anyway, you were pulling out."

I think I mighta gasped at her stupidity. "MY fault? you ran a stop sign!"

She shrugged. "I was in a hurry." She then turned on her heel and started back towards the store. I stood there, mouth agape. I couldn't believe her attitude. And the worst part was, I was so dumbfounded by it all, I could NOT think of anything to say back. My witty retorts had deserted me. All I could do was watch her walk away and get back in my car seething. I think I was more pissed at myself for not being able to come up with something to say than I was with her for running the sign.

I think I was channeling the wrong Sugarbaker, cause Julia would have had something incredible to say to the lady. Where's a good comeback when you need it?

POLT = listening to "Back On The Chain Gang" by The Pretenders

I think, last night, in my sleep, I died, and this is my own PERSONAL hell! - Ed, The Sock

No comments: