Sunday, April 02, 2006

Used to be a superhero, I would swoop down...

Superhero Sunday

I thought about starting a new feature on Sundays, called, as you can see, Superhero Sundays. I've been doing this blog for like 9 months and never really written anything yet about comic books, I don't know what's wrong with me. Anyway, I'll rectify that by highlighting a specific hero each Sunday.

Today, we start where it all started: Superman!



Well who doesn't know the background of Superman? But here's some info just in case:
First Appearance: Action Comics #1 (1938)
Real Name: Kal-El; Clark Kent
Powers: Super strength, super speed, flight, invulnerability, x-ray vision, heat vision, and I guess he still has super-hearing and "freeze" breath?
Origin: Sent from the planet Krypton, Superman was raised by the Kents and then moved to Metropolis where his powers revealed themselves and he became the greatest superhero ever. And the rest, as they say, is history.
My thoughts: Superman is not my favorite, but he is what I like about comics: He's brave and noble, and despite being able to possibly the over the world himself, he fights FOR us, and justice and right. I know, it probably sounds silly, like something out of the 50's, but that's what I like about comics, that these people do what's right, even if it's not easy. Superman is mocked by a bunch of fans for being a "boy scout" and not "realistic" like Batman, Wolverine, etc. But I think what they're really saying is that SUperman is not a "bad ass" who kills indiscriminately, or is very dark and scary and forboding. And I like that about him too. ANd after all, if it weren't for Superman, there wouldn't have been a Batman or Wolverine, etc, etc, etc.

No, Superman is not my favorite, but for me he is what comics are all about, he IS comics to me. And that's why i have the Superman 'S' tattooed on my shoulder. Not for SUperman specifically, but for comic books, for that's what he represents.

POLT = listening to "Stand" by R.E.M.

Who can resist a guy with the face of an angel and the abs of an underwear model? - Veronica, Splendor

No comments: