Sunday, April 16, 2006

Used to be a superhero, I would swing down...

Superhero Sunday

Today, I give you Hawkwoman!



First Appearance: 1989
Real Name: Shayera Thal
Powers: Wings that allow her to fly, superb marksman, deadly combatant
Origin: Thayera is a policewoman from the planet Thanagar, who ventured to earth in search of a villian, and stayed here. Her partner was Hawkman. They were called such by the media after some heroes in WWII. Eventually, Hawkwoman gave up her wings and became a policewoman in Detroit. She donned the wings again to fight crime, and I may be mistaken, but I believe she was recently slain in the Infinite Crisis or it's crossovers.

My thoughts: The above origin was devised following all the chaoes created following the original Crisis On Infinite Earths in 1984. The Hawkwoman I remember was around since the 1940's and was the wife of Hawkman and both were members of the Justice League of America. Soon after I started collected that title, Hawkwoman, always previously known as Hawkgirl, changed her suffix to -woman, and then was seen in some stories without Hawkman present. She went from being a sidekick/girlfriend and into a hero in her own right. And I always liked that, that she became independent like that.
She was never one of my favorite heroes, but I did like the independence, and the fast she went from becoming basically bait to be rescued to a full fledged heroine.

POLT = listening to "Funny Honey" from the Chicago soundtrack

Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discoverd an old idea and thinks it is his own. - Sudney J. Harris

No comments: