Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Save what's left, for the deaf....

Tone Deaf Tuesdays

This week, I've got a memory of Guns -N- Roses song. This takes place on Dec 31, 1989- Jan1, 1990. My best friend at the time, Dennis, was throwing a New Years Eve Party at his house. Many things happened that night: I met his freakin hot friend Tony; I got to watch Dennis strip to his grey briefs while he changed clothes; I inadvertantly, but drunkenly, outed myself to another friend named Leisl (yeah that's the spelling. Oh man, that's a story I outta tell sometime soon too!); Dennis got all drunk and pissed that his girlfriend never made it there, and was going to get in his car and go find her, and I wouldn't let him in his car, and I told him he'd have to physically move me out of the way, and I didn't think he could do that (thankfully, he didn't try); AND, this particular memory happened as well.

It was near midnight, and Dennis, myself and another guy, skinny with a man of black hair (he reminded me of Steven Tyler somewhat), Dan I think his name was, were all shit faced (along with everyone else there). And they had Appetite For Destruction in the CD player. As soon as the opening chords for Sweet Child Of Mine (we've ALL heard them, you know which ones I mean) started playing, we all three started to sing along.

Well, it ended up that the three of us were standing together, arms around each other's shoulder, swaying about, singing that damn song, and not just once, oh NO! No, we had someone put it on repeat and we sang it four times that I can remember, who knows how many times it actually was. ANd we were doing this out on his patio. In the cold. WIth the music and our voices up as loud as they would go. You can, I'm certain, imagine the cacophony.

Thank God Dennis lived in a wooded area with no close neighbors.



POLT = listening to "Silver Screen" by Felix Da Housecat

You might not marry a girl because she's pretty, but - my goodness - doesn't it help? - Marilyn Monroe, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes

2 comments:

The Persian said...

I can so identify with that post, and can picture the scene! Those were some fun times, why didn't I have cool friends like that?

Polt said...

It was a fun time. Course, when i kinda sorta came out to Dennis a few months later, he did not handle it well. WE kinda gerw distant until he moved to Florida about 14 years ago.

*SIGH*, oh well, his loss, ya know?