Tuesday, May 02, 2006

In the arms of the angels, far away from here...

Tone Deaf Tuesdays

In November of 1998, my grandfather died. It was a sad time, but he was in failing health for about a year, and at the time of his death, was paralyzed from the waist down, and almost totally blind. he wouldn't have wanted to live that way anyway, so it truly was a blessing in disguise.

Then, right before New Years of the same year, barely a month later, my cousin goes into labor, but, her daughter, Jaelyn, is born dead. She (and this sounds crazy, but it's what happened) had a bowel movement in the womb and inhaled the fecal matter into her lungs and she suffocated. I never even knew that kinda stuff COULD happen. They did an emergency c-section, and did all they could to save her, but she was already dead.

At ANY rate, we had her funeral a few days later, and they buried her little casket in the ground right at pap's feet. I went down on my own the day after. I pulled my car near the grave, and left the door open, with the car running while i went over. I stood there a few seconds, not really thinking anything. And then i heard the song "Angel" by Sarah McLachlan playing on my radio. And immeidately, this vision of my grandfather in heaven, holding little Jaelyn in his arms came to me, protecting her, watching out for her, and telling her all about the family she never got to know. and i started crying right then and there. (in fact, I'm tearing up now, thinking about it) Ever since then, anytime I hear that song, I get that same vision.

I don't if there's a heaven or not, but this vision, despite the sadness I feel, makes me want to believe there IS a heaven.



POLT = listening to "I See You Baby" by Groove Armada

I believe sex is one of the most beautiful, natural, and wholesome things that money can buy. - Steve Martin

No comments: